General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car oil in my bike..

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 02:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car oil in my bike..

i just changed to oil in my bike. after i finished i asked my girlfriend if she got MOTORCYCLE oil and of course she said yes. mistake number 1. anyways.. i was wondering if i destroyed the engine or not? it was definitely car oil. it was 10w40 non synthetic and i only had it started for about 15 seconds .

Old 02-10-2013, 05:30 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As long as the oil doesn't have teflon based lubricants, it will be fine.
The only difference between car and motorcycle oil systems,
is a bike's clutch is not seperated from the oil system, as a car's is.
If you use one of the teflon-based oils, you will have clutch slippage issues.

If your oil change was based on one of these, just drain it and re-fill with
a regular type oil and you should be fine. Save the oil and use it for your car.

Ern

Old 02-10-2013, 06:51 AM

If it has "energy conserving" marked on the label then it will cause clutch slip(like won't even move type clutch slip lol), otherwise it should be ok until your next change.

Also for future reference, any oils with "JASO-MA" marked on the label will be ok for wet clutches.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:47 AM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 10w-40 weight is usually not energy conserving anyways, that's usually just 5w-30 and below, so you should be fine. Def look at the back of the bottle anyways though to make sure it doesn't say 'energy conserving'

Old 02-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Default +

#1. something as important as ur bike is, why let ur gf pick out the oil? foolish for sure!
#2. 10W40 and 20W50 petroleum car oils are fine, just not the best formula for high rev hot engines in bikes because of the impurities left in the oil after processing to keep the cost to a minimum.
#3. imo full synthetic motorcycle specific oil is the best for wet clutch and the trans if u plan on keeping ur bike and have $ budgeted.
heres a link to my recent post about motorcycle oils
http://www.post610.org/truth_about_motorcycle_oils.htm

Last edited by mjp94cbr100f; 02-10-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Default car oil in bike

I worked at a bike shop for a few years. And i was told that u should not put car oil in a bike unless its an older bike with a some what lower redline. Because i was told that bike oil has a anti foaming additive because not many car engines rev over 8500 rpm and modern bike engines rev to 12000 and over for sportbikes and i was told that there is additives to help your clutch hookup better and to last longer now thats just what i was told. Hope that helps

Old 02-26-2013, 12:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a physics professor at Cal State Fullerton published an article in the 90's, where he found motor oil marketed as for cars was actually better than oil marketed for motorcycles. He found that over time, car oil maintained its viscosity better than motorcycle oil at high temperatures. Keep in mind that this was in the 90s and the bike used for testing wasn't a sports bike. Still, it illustrates that the myth of motorcycle oil as being superior to car oil becuz it was designed higher revs and a transmission/ clutch that performs some sheering motion was nothing more than clever marketing.

To reiterate what others have mentioned above, modern bikes like the 2008 Honda 1000rr will state in the owners manual and also on the oil cap that it recommends motor oil with the JASO-MA rating and/or avoid "energy conservation" types of oil.

Last edited by mnguyen84; 02-26-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this website offers only opinion based stories. This is a cute line:
There is no scientific evidence that indicates that friction modifiers cause clutch slippage, although some anecdotal evidence suggests that it is possible.
oh... this claim is also very amusing:

The end result is that a good quality synthetic oil can lower engine temperatures by as much as 20 to 50 degrees F.
haha. i guess i've yet to encounter this good quality synthetic that the writer speaks of.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:52 PM

so far so good. can't really tell a difference. there hasn't been any slip or anything.