General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cant get front sprocket off!!!!!!-HELP-!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 01:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant get front sprocket off!!!!!!-HELP-!!

hey guys i cant get my front sprocket off with a 2 FOOT BRAKER BAR!!! [sm=dontgetit.gif] any suggestions????

Old 08-17-2006, 02:08 AM
Default RE: cant get front sprocket off!!!!!!-HELP-!!

I don't know because I've never pulled mine off, but are you sure it isn't a left hand thread? ie reverse than normal?

Old 08-17-2006, 02:53 AM

it is left hand thread, so righty loosey instead of righty tighty.. every bike i have ever worked on has left hand threads for the front sprocket... the f'er is really on there! i turned it so hard that it started turning the motor so i jamed a wrench in there and now my hands are killing me! Its REALLY frustrating because i have the whole chain kit ready to be put on and now i cant ride it untill i get this **** figured out!

Old 08-17-2006, 04:59 AM

As a last ditch effort, after the motor starts to turn from the 2 foot bar, try an impact if you have access to one. If that doesn't work I'd try taking a torch to it. Not oxy acetalyne, but a standard butane and heat the nut only. Hopefully that'll expand it enough to come off. If you go that way, be careful of any plastic or wiring that's nearby. Have to be like a surgeon for that one.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:49 AM

The sprocket bolt IS NOT left handed it's normal right hand thread, someone has probaly locktite'd the bolt in []
DO NOT use any heat on it or you'll eng up melting the drive shaft oil seal behind it
put the chain on put it in gear and get someone to sit on it holding the rear brake on & back wheel firm on ground, correct size socket and bar and give it some dont be frightened of it, and it' give

Old 08-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man this sort of stuff freaks me out, your not just talking about stripping the head on 2c screw. but application of real force.
In my Haynes it says to get an assistant to apply the rear brake while sitting on the bike. Lovely illustration of a guy with very clean hands undoing an displaying a equally clean and new bolt. There is nothing in the manual to say it's a left hand thread, and the poms are very good with this sort of detail. Although their panel drawings suck. The impact driver sounds like a good idea, saved **** on more than one occassion.
My heart goes out to you, mental picture of you in your shed, crying out to whoever for revenge on the ****** that but the bolt in last time.
The cure for sore hands though, is 3 fingers of a good single malt, drink, then repeat application.
Good luck.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do not use a constant force with the breaker bar, you have to hit it fast and hard with a sudden huge burst of force to break it loose.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:04 PM

thanks guys! i guess i was turning it the wrong way! lol.. oupps. and i have an impact wrench! going to give it another go!

Old 08-18-2006, 12:16 AM

and DONT put it in gear

Old 08-18-2006, 12:38 AM

its off! hahaha... well, then i got the new one on but it wiggles just a little bit because the washer is tight against the shaft not the sprocket... should i put a rubber o-ring in so it doesnt or is it fine? im thinking it might get anoying if i can hear it when theres no pressure on it..once again i REALLY apreciate all the help! THANKS GUYS!

Quick Reply: cant get front sprocket off!!!!!!-HELP-!!