General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Someone please help me figure this out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Someone please help me figure this out?

I came out into the parking lot at our local supermarket, and this is all I have to show for it, anyone have any idea how to get it out or where I can find a replacement tank? Thanks!

[IMG]local://upfiles/1378/12B0BD88D9A14CA3A30CD54267590D55.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1378/5E2371C8139248579E552D7023AD49EB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-16-2005, 09:29 PM
Default RE: Can Someone please help me figure this out?

Who did you **** off? Ummm replacement tanks....check the yellow pages for any local or semi local bike wrecking yards...they usually tend to have a good selection of parts. You could probably find some of them online as well. Natrually another good place to look for fairings, tanks and such is Ebay. Good luck.

Old 06-16-2005, 11:46 PM

Ebay?? As you will find out if you call the dealer..the tanks are RIDICULIOUS on pricing...must be made out of gold for as much as they charge for them!!
or check out www.ronayers.com

Old 06-16-2005, 11:53 PM

The person who did that needs a dent in their forehead!

eBay is your friend. You could get that fixed, but it may be more expensive to fix it than to just get another one.

If you look on eBay, who knows how long it would take to find one that is in good shape and same colors.

I have fixed a CBR 600 tank before, and it had many dents. It did take time too to sculpt it perfectly after my friend used a frame machine to pull it. With Harly tanks they could blow them up with compressed air, but that won't work on very shapely tanks like ours. If that tank was not so many colors, and if you knew a good bodyguy; I would say fix it. I once (long ago) sourced parts from a used parts/junk yard dealer from the back of a magazine ad.

Just some more rambling from me, to add to the advice others gave.

Old 07-08-2005, 02:38 AM

That makes me sick just looking at that. I was wondering if a person good at bodywork repair that and paint it for alot less than buying a new one.

Old 07-08-2005, 02:51 AM

you could go Carbon Fiber if they have one for your bike..pretty sure they do, other than that id do what everyone else says and go check Ebay or a local Yard. Good luck.

Oh and do yo uknow if that Supermarket had cameras? and if so would your bike have been visible to what happened. You might find that it got the whole thing on camera. Just and Idea.

Old 07-08-2005, 07:43 AM

I check any local breakers you have they normally have a good range, and alot cheaper than a new item. Repair and paint can get expensive.

Old 07-10-2005, 03:27 PM

Yea checked ebay, probably will go from there. As for cameras at the SM... I have some news guys, this will really tell you how f#$ked up the SLV is...

I am friends with about 3/4 of the people that work there, as I used to until the owner accused me of stealing, and I haddn't been but knew who was, he pushed me, I punched him and walked out. (gotta love the malladramatics)
So then later this year I was at a Grass and Potato festival thing with my college about the welding class, and here he comes prancing in the door, delivering pop for the thing. He looked me strait in the eyes and gave me the finger. So I guess he hadden't let it go... So when I parked out front of the place to go in and talk to my friends, HE DID IT. Pablo the night manager reviewed the tapes, and you can actually see him get out of his F150 walk over with a huge piece of wood and crack it on my tank, then drive off! I have already contacted a lawyer, but at this point, my other friend Matt that works there says they have probably recorded over it for "cost reasons".... My ***! Anyway, just thought I would add some friendly info to the follow up! Ride on![sm=smiley35.gif][sm=wtf.gif][sm=guilty.gif]

Old 07-11-2005, 03:48 AM

Recorded over it??? I woulda bought them 10 tapes just so they wouldn't do that.

Old 07-12-2005, 12:11 AM

I repaired worse than that on an F3 after blowing a turn and hitting a football size rock and tossing it end over end down the road. My repair wasn't for the faint hearted. I warn anyone ahead of time not to weld to a tank unless you are a trained professional or you can be killed! I pulled the dent out as much as possable by welding a hook shaped piece of metal to the center of the affected area, then hooking it to a hoist or chain from the ceiling, using the weight of the tank to gently jerk the dent out. I did that several times until I was satisfied that a thin layer of bondo would cover it. Beware the metal is very very thin, and I did tear it at one time puling the dent out. It is a good idea to pressure check the tank for leaks afterward. Depending on the filler type I've seen radiator pressure testers used. Once again do not weld on a gas tank unless you know for sure what you are doing, many people have died doing it improperly.

Quick Reply: Can Someone please help me figure this out?