General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can someone help with susp question ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can someone help with susp question ?

I know this sounds newbish of me, but I still don`t know the complete workings of forks and I have to ask. How much impact does preload have on compression vs. the dampening adjustment ? The reason I ask is because the front end still dips too much when breaking for good turns. My preload is set up perfect for my weight while sitting in the garage, but out on the road, it still seems soft. Anubis threw me the trick of the zip ties on the forks and I was horrified to see travel up to 2 3/4" at 1 3/4 turns out.

Question two. Do forks have bypass in the valving ? If I set my compression at 1 turn out, will that valve setting apply to potholes and train tracks too, or does it have a bypass to soak up the big hits ?

Old 01-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Default RE: can someone help with susp question ?

I`m gonna get my settings tommorrow for ya and post em, i think you should return your settings to stock and work from there.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:51 AM

That would be great Anubis, if you could also tell your height/weight. I have started from stock settings twice now (way too soft) and adjust the rear, ride, adjust the front, ride, rear, ride, front, ride. Rear feels solid now but I`ve been dickin with the front forever now and can`t seem to get it to feel right. Right now the front feels like the suspension is played out from braking before I even drop in.

Anubis, Thank you so much for the extra effort, You kick ***..[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 01-16-2006, 05:32 PM

My Settings:
Right Here goes I`ll try and puts my words down so it makes sense............ With Pics to help

1st up a Pic To Show What Everything Is: Red is Rebound Damping
Yellow is Preload
The Bottom of the fork is theCompression Damping

Rebound:
Wind the Rebound all the way out (anti-clockwise) to soft looks like this:

Turn Clockwise To :

My setting is 2 full turns Clockwise from above.

Preload:
I used a socket and a T bar to adjust the settings, I taped one end of the T bar so It`s easier to count the turns Wind it full out (anti-clockwise) Looks like this:

Then turn it a quarter turn clockwise so the tape is at the top, My setting is 10 full turns clockwise from there.

Compresion Damping:
Wind the damping all the way out (anti-clockwise) careful because the adjusters are very soft and easily damaged with a few slips of the screwdriver, to look like this:

Then turn it clockwise 1/8 of a turn so the dot is at 12 o clock to look like this:

Name:  SuspensionSettings051.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  131.0 KB

My setting is 2 full turns clockwise from here.

Hope this all makes sense, hit me a question if you need out else.

Old 01-16-2006, 05:42 PM

Sounds good, two more questions. How tall are you / whats your weight ? Are these your track or street settings ?

Old 01-16-2006, 05:43 PM

O yeah i`m 6ft and 14.5 stone or 203 pound, them settings are fine for hard braking on the street for me, when i go to the track I turn the compresion damping clockwise one more turn so i have less dive from the forks under braking.

Old 01-16-2006, 05:46 PM

I`ve got 2 inches and 15 pounds on you so your settings should be about perfect. Thank you so much ![sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 01-16-2006, 05:47 PM

I do like the settings firm tho they are a little firmer than stock, some people over here find the stock settings a little to harsh so it depends how you ride really. I comprimise on ride comfort because I never sit still that long and i`m used to them settings now. if you want the rear let me know i`ll do them tomorrow, but other than compresions a little harder it`s stock settings i think.

Old 01-16-2006, 05:50 PM

I may need to work on the rear after dialing in your settings, but I doubt it. I think I`ll be good to go.... Cant wait to try it...

Old 01-16-2006, 05:53 PM

ORIGINAL: roxy_33

I`ve got 2 inches and 15 pounds on you so your settings should be about perfect. Thank you so much ![sm=smiley20.gif]
Hey its winter, gives me something constructive to do, + it`s with the bike so [sm=goodidea.gif]

Quick Reply: can someone help with susp question ?