General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can I get a straight answer????

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can I get a straight answer????

OK, no map or not to map. I am planning on buying an Arrow slip-on for my 06 1KRR and some tell me you don't have to but it helps, others say you must so on. So, whats you guys experience with this. I understand I might not reap the full benifits of the exhaust unless I re-map my bike, but...am I going to do any harm whatsoever? will my bike not run as good with a slip-on and no map as the stock exhaust? I'll get it remapped in a few months but I've already spent a ton of money for now and need to re-coup.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:48 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: can I get a straight answer????

the way ive always understood it (and i could be wrong ) but with just a slip on you dont need to re map your ecu. now if you get a full system then yes you do . if im wrong someone please correct me

Old 01-31-2007, 12:57 AM

Changing the dynamics of the exhaust system effects burn, one way or another. some might see a change to a lean @ low, rich at high RPM... others the complete opposite. others still little to no change! I'll tell you that even with the stock can, the bike runs lean. why? EPA emissions. Honda (and really just about every other manufacture) make the bike burn lean so that they pass the respective emissions standards of where ever they are. getting a PCIII will smooth out the power and add fuel where the pipe makes it lean (adding power) or removing fuel to where it makes it Rich (too much fuel can lead to fouling, and power loss).

do you need to? again, maybe. I'm no expert on Arrow exhaust systems. but for the other benefits a PCIII gives you, why the hell not? Even if you're stock, it'll help tremendously!

Old 01-31-2007, 01:07 AM

How do you use the damn thing???? How do you know what setting to put it on, unless you got a dyno at the house. If not that could get costly testing and testing? Still, I know it would be best to add the PCIII I just don't want to hurt anything in the mean-time.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:03 AM

it won't hurt anything at all, worst case scenario (with a slip-on) it doesn't run as smooth as it could
a lot of riders wouldn't even notice it

its not really about getting the "full benefit"
you can custom map all you want but its just a slip-on, if you wanna spend nearly $1,000 for that 3 horsepower (random guess #1, I don't remember how much a slip-on or custom mapping goes for) then go for it. If you ride an 06 1000RR and notice the differencein power between the slip-on with/without the custom mapincrease then your a better rider than me

honestly there are some okay user submitted maps on Dynojet's web-site, one of those will do fine if you can find one for your bike/pipe combo. Its not "custom" for your exact motorcycle but they are usually plenty close enough for street riding.

and really it depends on the bike, my SV has a full system (LeoVince) and no PC3 yet it runs just right, not too rich or lean.
put on the exhaust and see how she runs
it won't hurt anything, you could run it like that for years on end if you wanted it just might not perform as well as it could

Old 01-31-2007, 08:36 AM

without changing anything in the airbox a slip-on is not going to make much of a difference on your fuel curve. No need to map.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:00 PM

what about with a K&N also...same recomendations?

Old 02-01-2007, 12:42 AM

the K&N's have been proven to not actually flow more air than stock unless the stocker is freakishly dirty, so its not really going to make a difference

Old 02-01-2007, 09:42 AM

well the K&N'scan flow more air, BUT, the stock elementsare not as restrictive as they used to be, so a K&N air filter on just about any newer sportbike is not going to make much of a difference at all. (your not pulling enough "air" to make that stock element restrictive)
second, you've got an exhaust valve.... that slip on really shouldn't make any difference but sound.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:52 AM

cool beans. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: can I get a straight answer????