General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To buy 954 or not to buy, help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To buy 954 or not to buy, help!!

Hey guys im new here and need some help. my buddy is working on a guys bike he used to ride with a long time ago, 03 954 that has been sitting for bout 5 to 6 years, it has 7300 miles on it, body looks immaculate. i am really interested in taking it off his hands but would require me to get rid of my 09 R6s which i have had since new. I went over the other night to check it out and it idled and ran smoothly, tires were rotted out so no test ride. so far my buddy has replaced the fuel, fuel pump, lined the tank with something? prevent corrosion from affecting the system? new chain and sprockets and new tires. if i had not been told this bike had been sitting i would never have guessed it, radiator hosing all looks perfect, everything functions as it should. he will take $3500 for it, im just concerned about the engine not having being run in a while and parts drying up. it did not sound like anything was wrong but i could not ride it to get a feel. Im not worried about late registration fees as i can get those waived with a "receipt" of work being done to the bike. should i be worried by the bike sitting so long? i dont want to get rid of a good bike for a dud. i just really want something bigger than this 600 and have always been a honda fan (R6s was too much of a deal to have brand loyalty) any way i would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions. thanks guys

Old 07-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

954s are great bikes. If you have the chance to pick one up for a good price in great shape, do it. As far as it sitting, I wouldn't worry about it unless it was kept outside and is all rusty. If you replace all the fluids and clean and lube the rest of it, you'll be fine.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts
Old 07-26-2012, 08:19 PM

Yes Man, Go For It

Old 07-26-2012, 10:21 PM

I just took the bike for a test ride and it is so much more comfortable than the r6, I did notice while in the higher gears at under 3k rpm when you open the throttle its a bit slow to start moving like its lagging then feels like a 2 stroke powerband and starts taking off. not something im use to on the 6, is this normal for the 954? other than that it feels real good, loved the seating position felt so much easier to turn and felt lighter for some reason. im going to be buying it, im now a part of the cbr family!!

Old 07-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Congrats on the buy.

No , thats not normal.

Im curious why it seems he has changed a fair amount of parts on a low milage bike that been sitting for years.

I'd go through the bike pretty thoroughly. IMO, extended times sitting can be quite detrimantal to bikes.