General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken rod

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken rod

Picked my CBR F4 up from the local motorcycle shop after having the motor rebuilt, go it home and started it and before i could ride a rod broke. The mechanic says its my fault but i do no see how. Any suggestions on how this might happen?

Old 12-22-2005, 07:35 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: broken rod

You're talking connecting rod right? That is a pile of bull$hit[:@] Builder screwed up and either put the pistons in wrong (in/ex) or installed the valves wrong or broke the rod for ****s and giggles before installing it just to have a good laugh[:@][:@] Was this done at a dealership? You need to get a lawyer on this one -- man I'm pissed and it ain't even my bike. Not saying you did but even if you started it and ran it wide open in neutral it shouldn't break a rod [:@][:@] Just think if you had it leaned over and got on the throttle and it broke -- [:@]

Old 12-22-2005, 09:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am totally with Chain on this. That engine should be as reliable as if it were brand new. As I see there no way you have direct control to break a rod. Ask that guy to explain to you how you could have done it. I want to hear what explanation comes out of his ***.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:06 PM
Retired Administrator

Really... I would have lost it on the spot. Someone would have to come visit me in jail. I'd love to hear the explanation this *** gives you on how you broke the rod. Please tell us a little more about the conversation you had with him. What does he think you did?

Old 12-23-2005, 12:59 AM

No, this was not a a dealership, it was a privately owned, the worst part is i didn't even unload the bike off of the truck, they stated that there is nothing that they could have done to cause this type of damage, the rod broke on the end where it connects to the piston, and broke through the casing just below the exauhst ports. i am so pissed off its hard to even talk to the guy without losing my temper, i am speaking with him tomorrow and i will keep all of you posted

Old 12-23-2005, 01:01 AM

by the way this all occured at 7000 rpms

Old 12-23-2005, 01:36 AM
Retired Administrator

I'd be speaking with an attorney, and let him know you are doing it.

Old 12-23-2005, 11:45 AM

GET A LAWYER!!!

Old 12-23-2005, 12:20 PM

Ya definitely not your fault. Either mechanic did something wrong, torque specs., lack of lubricant, etc., or the other possibility is poor craftmanship in the quality of the product from the manufactuer.

Good luck. Keep us updated.

Old 12-26-2005, 08:38 PM

Did they put new pistons in on the rebuild? If they did, they could have stressed the rod when they installed the wrist pins. I don't remember if those are pressed pins or full floating.

Quick Reply: broken rod