General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Fairings...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken Fairings...

Ok guys, My Cane was put down quite hard before i bought it, the right side fairing is broken in 2 pieces. Now the previous owner had used bondo to repair it, but quite frankly having bondo on the outside of the fairing looks like crap, and it really wasnt bonded to the plastic very well either.

Now I have done some other minor cracks on the fairing with Bumper Repair Epoxy, the one where you have to mix the 2 compounds. Put in on both sides of the crack and held them together till they set good, then i took small strips of flexible plastic and epoxy'd them accross the crack on the inside of the fairing. It seems to be holding ok, but do you believe this will work for holding the 2 halfs together?

Old 01-29-2008, 04:53 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Broken Fairings...

If you start noticing small delaminations you gotta go nuclear. Mix up a quart of JB weld and some fiberclass cloth on the back of the fairing, that'll teach those pesky cracks.Get a buck of stickers to help cover the seams.

I happen to like the look of a well used bike,so don't go crazy wanting to replace the fairings.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plastic welding (no, not "plastic weld").

ie, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=41592

I'm not entirely sure how it works, but I think it basically melts sticks of plastic to other pieces of plastic. I would imagine you can sand it pretty, prime, and paint afterwards.

Otherwise, use some sort of epoxy. Bondo is NOT designed to provide structural support, and fairings are flexible, so it will crack almost immediately.

If you're lazy/cheap, and just want to repair some minor cracks without repainting the bike, you can always use zip ties...

Old 01-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hahaha no, see I'm cheap enough not to want new fairings, but I also want it to look alright too lol. this method seems to be working so far, but i may need to use that plastic welding compound to put the 2 halfs together.