General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes kind of fishy

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes kind of fishy

Bike:
2002 F4i

Rotors give a pulse feeling when hitting them hard. You can actually feel it warped when coming to slow speeds as well. Here are the facts I just got from it now tell me what you think needs replacing.

Front Right Side Brakes-Pads are about half life. After going around the block the rotor was very cool to touch. The rear was the same and I used all the brakes when riding around the block.

Front Left Side Brakes-Pads are almost to metal. Rotor was very very warm when I touched it. When I took the pads off I could push the pistons back with my fingers which would tell me that there not stuck correct???

So I would assume the left rotor would be warped compared to the left one based on the heat right? Also I need new pads which is a given. How about caliper though? Is it normal to see it on a bike one side worn vs the others? Can you rebuild these calipers??

Thanks,
Jason

Old 05-12-2010, 01:59 PM
I Can't Sell Because I'm Hardheaded

My F4i has the same issue. Warped rotors. Weird thing was it didn't start to happen until I put new galfier pads on it. So figgured damn thing was rubbing w/ the new pads and warped my rotor... I have crazy head shake under braking... so I use my rear brakes most of the time... sucks

Old 05-12-2010, 02:02 PM

Mike that sounds excatly the same problems I am having. Just weird that one side is bad vs the other side is good. Do you think are calipers are not retracting for some reason? I mean if I am able to push them in that mean's there not stuck. Yet why is it getting hot unless it warped good enough were it rubs at a high speed and with friction causing a higher heat?

Old 05-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Brake rotor warped on the worn pad side.
That's why your pads are gone. They sometimes warp if they are really hot and you hit a puddle - can warp them !
Have it replaced as soon as you can - not too safe to ride as it is.
Check the caliper for binding if pistons are not moving correctly. And yes you can rebuild calipers.
Look at www.mrcycles.com
My 2c worth.

Last edited by Shadow; 05-12-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow
Brake rotor warped on the worn pad side.
That's why your pads are gone. They sometimes warp if they are really hot and you hit a puddle - can warp them !
Have it replaced as soon as you can - not too safe to ride as it is.
Check the caliper for binding if pistons are not moving correctly. And yes you can rebuild calipers.
Look at www.mrcycles.com
My 2c worth.

I would say the caliper must be good based on the pistons did move back in there farily easy with my hand on top of it the pads are worn even all the way from top to bottom. So by it being warped it made the pads get chewed up? I could believe that since it would wobble back and forth.