General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pad Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pad Question

Quick question.....

When replacing pads, does the little metal plate shown on the picture below that was on the stock pads need to go on the new pads? The manual doesn't mention them.

Also, the manual says to not reuse the caliper mounting bolts...Is it truly necessary to get new ones?

Old 04-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Registered Users
Default RE: Brake Pad Question

as for the caliper mounting bolts, that's insane...you can reuse that....are you sure they meant the mounting bolts???? i have reused mine with NO issues....

as for the plates...i am not sure if that is just an OEM thing or if they are supposed to be on all pads...i would put them on the new pads just to be safe, i don't think it will hurt anything either way so why not....but that's just me...i don't remember seeing those on my pads, but i could just be having a memory lapse right now...haha

Old 04-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: ffingers

as for the caliper mounting bolts, that's insane...you can reuse that....are you sure they meant the mounting bolts???? i have reused mine with NO issues....

as for the plates...i am not sure if that is just an OEM thing or if they are supposed to be on all pads...i would put them on the new pads just to be safe, i don't think it will hurt anything either way so why not....but that's just me...i don't remember seeing those on my pads, but i could just be having a memory lapse right now...haha
Yeah, I had to read it like 4 times to be sure that's what it said....I can't justify throwing those bolts away just because I took the damn calipers off one time. Crazy.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:55 PM

I have never replaced caliper bolts on cars or bikes, thats just a way for them to make a few extra bucks, you will find a lot of stupid little things like that. if im not mistaken those metal things are to stop vibration sound....from the pads hitting the cylinder. Pretty sure on that.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

those lil plates help stop squeaking.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Banned

Thanks for the quick responses everybody...that was my first time changing bike pads, so I appreciate the helpful and prompt responses. I'm amazed at how easy that was...

Now comes the more challenging part that I need my mechanic buddy for this weekend....changing the lines.

PlayfulGod, I rarely look at a person's name as I "recognize" them from the avatar...You threw me off there for a second. When did you lose the cat?

Old 04-28-2008, 06:15 PM

Changing the lines is pretty easy. Not too hard.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: slip_

Changing the lines is pretty easy. Not too hard.
So I've heard...but still, it's too easy to mess up minor details your first time without proper supervision.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:23 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on the squealing, and I've NEVER replaced the bolts EVER on any bike.
Put the little shims back with the new pads......

Old 04-29-2008, 01:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: shoortbuss

Thanks for the quick responses everybody...that was my first time changing bike pads, so I appreciate the helpful and prompt responses. I'm amazed at how easy that was...

Now comes the more challenging part that I need my mechanic buddy for this weekend....changing the lines.

PlayfulGod, I rarely look at a person's name as I "recognize" them from the avatar...You threw me off there for a second. When did you lose the cat?
last night lol.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Question