General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bogs only with airbox on

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bogs only with airbox on

Hey guys i have a 1998 cbr 600F3 and im having a dilemma, my bike will only run if i have the airbox completely off the bike, if i have it on the bike it surges and bucks and jerks terribly but only while driving, the bike does have a D&D slip on but thats it. ive tried only taking off airfilter and top piece but i worked my way down and tis the absolute only way ittl run. im having a jet kit made for the bike and what not hopeing it will fix my probleme, any ideas would be greatly aprecieated cuz im tappd out of ideas, i DO NOT want to ride without airbox again and fill the crank case with freeking gas . . .learned my lesson

Old 06-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

The greatest probability is that the D.A.I (Direct Air Intake) system is not functioning properly. On page 5-25 of the shop manual it shows the air passage ways. As they say, "the devil is in the details". You have to verify the proper routing and operation of each of these components. The air vents provide atmospheric pressure to various sections of the carburetors, like the lower portion of the vacuum piston, and the upper half of the float bowls. There is a Air Vent solenoid valve that's operated by the speedometer. All these things need to be verified. It could be a clogged hose (bug stuck inside), hose not routed properly, malfunctioning solenoid, loose connector.

Name:  DAISystem.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  85.2 KB

Last edited by IDoDirt; 06-11-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks Dirt for the pic and everything ive checked into the routing and everything is good, how do i go about checking to see if i have a bad solenoid? ive tried disconnecting it before while triding to see if it makes a difference and it didnt the breathers or filters seem ok they have no resistance in them when i blow thru them . . . .. motorcycles r pissing me off lol only cuz i cant ride mine

Old 06-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

The Air Vent solenoid connector is located on the right frame near the engine hanger. It's a 2 pin connector. With a meter you should be able to read 12v across the 2 pins when the ignition switch is turned on. When the bike reaches about 12 mph, the solenoid will turn off. The speedometer has to be connected and operating properly for this to happen. Providing that the solenoid is not stuck, leaving the solenoid unplugged should work fine at speeds above 12mph. It's a simple device and easily taken apart to clean and examine.

BTW, I wouldn't put a jet kit in. If you don't have a full exhaust, then there is no need to do so. If you do it now while you're having a problem, you're going to compound the problem by modifying the air/fuel mixture. At least hold off until you have this resolved. Have you checked your diaphrams on the slides for cuts or holes ?

Old 06-18-2011, 07:56 PM

hey there . . . .just got the jet kit in and they sent me several different sizes. . . .so alls im going to do is put back in what is in the bike now . . .i believe im downgrading a bit as well but either way i did check the diaphragms they r fine . . .im about to pull all the D.A.I stuff out and redo every little thing . . . .i have a whole night infront of me and im feelin like i need to tinker . . . .so tinker i shall, i will let you know how everything goes people . .hopefully this one day can help somebody out