General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 05:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike wont start

Ok so i just cleaned my air filter and added some coolant to my bike and went out to ride i pulled out in 60degree weather and my bike was immediately at 100degrees celsius road down the block went up to 130 then turned around after less then 2mins of riding my bike was 160degress in 60degree weather. Now my bike wont start, every once in a while it sounds like its about to go but never does, i have tried start fluid which doesnt help and charged the battery which is 2months old. I also waited a few hours incase i flooded the engine also wiht no luck. I pulled up my gas tank all looks good under there. Gonna try to check the spark plugs bc i think i might have ruined them when my bike got so hot adn bc they are really old shoulda been replaced a few thousand miles ago. was just wondering if anyone has a suggestion on what to look at.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:32 AM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy
Default RE: Bike wont start

did the bike try to start at least turn over or rev at all when you used the starter fluid.?

four functions to an internal combustion engine:
Spark
Ignition
Compression
Exhaust

Old 12-27-2008, 05:36 AM

No it sounded like it wanted to but nvr did

Old 12-27-2008, 06:20 AM

Sounds like your thermostat is stuck. 100 Celsius is boiling, right? Which is about 212 Fahrenheit, and hotter that I would want to run my engine.

Pull the plugs and see if it turns over, then check the condition of them. New plugs gapped right wouldn't hurt.

Try laying the plugs against the head and see if they spark.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CB750
Which is about 212 Fahrenheit, and hotter that I would want to run my engine.
The fan doesn't even come on till 220. 212 is perfectly normal, the 130 and 160 however are not.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:10 AM

dud you burp the cooling system to get all the air out first? it sounds like you might not have. also what year and model? all information like that is relevant and helpful.

that said, pull your plugs, if they're fouled get some new ones, check that you've got adequate coolant in the motor now, and it might start right up.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:16 AM

[blockquote]quote:[/i]ORIGINAL: CB750 Which is about 212 Fahrenheit, and hotter that I would want to run my engine. [/blockquote]
The fan doesn't even come on till 220. 212 is perfectly normal, the 130 and 160 however are not.
+1, 212 F is nothing to worry about, even up 230 F.

Did antifreeze boil out of your radiator?

Did it stop on its own, or did you shut it off and now it wont start?

Where did you add the coolant? in the overflow bottle or the radiator itself? The coolant should have gone into the overflow bottle. If you just topped that off, then it wasnt anything you did.

If your bike was truely at 160 C and it wasnt just the temp gauge misreading, I would assume your engine is locked up.

The temp gauge should have been flashing, I think right around 240 F it starts to let you know that you need to shut the engine off.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:30 PM

ok so my bike is a 2005 cbr600rr i added the coolant to the overflow and havnt tried burping it yet, also nothign boiled over and i did just turn off the bike myself and waited till it cooled down before i tried starting it up again, which i wasnt able to do. What do i do if my engine is locked up?

Old 12-27-2008, 01:55 PM

I don't think it's locked, if you cooled it prior to turning it off...[8D]

Old 12-27-2008, 02:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Kikepiz

I don't think it's locked, if you cooled it prior to turning it off...[8D]
I cooled prior to try turn it on again, i turned it off at 320F and tried turning it back on when it got down to 200F

Quick Reply: Bike wont start