General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike wont start

G'day...
I have a 2006 CBR600RR that went down tha road about 2 months ago ive been fixing it up since. Basically it wont start. At first i thought it might have been the map sensor so i replaced it, but it still wont start it sounds like it wonts too but just cant. Its got new gas inthe tank and all the hoses are fine and ive charged the batteryany ideas?

Old 09-17-2007, 11:26 PM
Default RE: Bike wont start

no, not really. you haven't really given enough information to start forming a hypothesis as to what might be the matter.

Are you getting fuel in the cylinders?
Is the Fuel Pump even working?
Are you getting spark?
Is the starter rotating the engine?
Does it sputter?
What was replaced when you crashed?

there are lots of systems in play here, so we need specifics. tell us EXACTLY what it's doing, and what it's NOT doing.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:58 AM

Basically i put the key in the ignition turn it on the huming sound that it had before the stack aint there anymore. I hit the start and i can hear the starter tring to start the bike but nothin is happenin...

After the stack ihad to replace the radiator, fairings, map sensor, disks, left side engine covering, forks, display, and thehandlebars.

Its been into a workshop and the mechanic said it just needed a new map sensor thats why it wouldn't start i replaced and still nothing....

All the fairing is off, the Bike doesnt have some sortawiring thing does it where everything has to be on and hooked up before it starts, does it? The battery was also disconected for a time i dont haveto get the CPU unlocked or soething do i?

Old 09-18-2007, 08:54 AM
I ♥ CBRF

No, your "CPU" will not lock so that should not be your problem. Sounds like it's your tip over sensor. If you don't have the fairings on, that may very well be your problem. If that sensor is at the wrong angle it cuts of theengine (spark and fuel) but the starter will stillturn. On my F4i it's onthe headlight/upper fairingon my other bike its on the subframe. Not sure where yours is on the RR so maybe someone can chime in.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:35 AM

I have an idea.. why dont you check the spark plugs make sure they arent fouled out.. and then check the throttle body.. make sure the throttle position sensor is working properly..

Old 09-18-2007, 10:56 AM

if your bike sounds like it wants to crank but will not and does have a good fully charged battery. you may need to pull the spark plugs to see if it is hydro locked from fuel or oil from being tipped over. you can also check your connections for battery and starter. from the information given i would guess probably hydrolocked.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Users

Could be a pinched wire somewhere. If everything is back on the bike, but when you turn the key and don't hear the fuel pump priming, it could be something as simple as a wire being off somewhere. I'd recommend taking it to the dealer, reason being I encountered this problem awhile back and after I'd invested a small fortune replacing my fuel filter/pump assembly, battery, air filter (upgraded to K&N), and spark plugs (upgraded to gold), I still couldn't get my bike to start. Took it to the dealer and exactly one hour later, he had my bike running. Turned out to be something simple (isn't it always?); a corroded wire under the start switch. The only positive out of all that is my bike's a LOT more responsive and definitely quicker, but the negative was that I was tinkering around with it for a week. Time lost in the saddle you'll never get back.

Cost of taking it to the dealer was $125 compared to almost $1000 I spent on parts and Red Bull to tide me over while I cut up my fingers and said bad words like I was in the Navy

Good luck, young Jedi....

Old 09-18-2007, 11:34 AM
I ♥ CBRF

All good points but if you don't hear your fuel pump prime...there's no fuel being delivered. Resolve the fuel issue first. Check TO sensor, fuel relay and fusethen go from there.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:27 PM

Sorry i didn't get back to this as quickly as i did before.

ORIGINAL: Streetdemon

All good points but if you don't hear your fuel pump prime...there's no fuel being delivered. Resolve the fuel issue first. Check TO sensor, fuel relay and fuse then go from there.
bingo. test your fuel cut off relay, it's found under the left side mid, first large box like deal from the left. sounds an awful lot like a problem we just had a little while ago.

Also, StreetDemon, it's BAS, not TO Sensor (Bank Angle Sensor vs. Tip Over Sensor). if you don't use the correct terminology, it makes it very difficult to find information about it in technical manuals.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:15 PM
I ♥ CBRF

Hmm, I thought it shows Tip Over Sensor in my manual. But haven't pulled that thing out in awhile so could be getting my Suzuki and Honda terminology mixed up. Allsynonyms though. Good job slugger.

Quick Reply: Bike wont start