General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike won't start

Hey guys I'm new to the post and I just bought an 03 cbr 600 and when I got it the bike started fine then when I got home it didn't start does anybody have an idea what the problem may be...and also my start button sticks in is it suppose to do that please help me out

Old 09-12-2009, 09:12 AM

Is it the battery or could it be a fuse?? I really need help guys

Old 09-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

first calm down, 2ndly welcome to the forum

give us a lil bit more information. does the bike attempt to crank over and then wont start or does it not even crank (maybe you just hear a loud click) and thats it ? do you hear the fuel pump prime ? do you power to your gauge cluster and headlights ? have you done anything to the bike such as take off the fairings or installed something new (ie..electrical)

Old 09-12-2009, 10:46 AM

Well the battery seems fine no I didn't install anything and thanks for welcoming me...when I turn the key on I do hear a beep which may be it priming then it goes away all the lights on the gauge light up but the headlights don't come on and the start button sticks in I don't think it's suppose to do that huh

Old 09-12-2009, 11:59 AM

I really think it has something to do with my start button but I just need other insights on what the problem may be

Old 09-12-2009, 12:18 PM

Your start button is not suppose to stick in. Once you press it, it is suppose to return. Also, when the start button is pressed, the headlights will go out while the bike is cranking over and this is done by the start button, so it may explain why the headlights are not working.

How did you tie the bike down? Is it possible you wrapped a strap around the handgrips and damaged something? Maybe try to loosen the housing and rotate it back and forth and see if the button comes back out.

A few things to make sure of. One, the bike must be in neutral to start if the kickstand is down. If the kickstand is down, it won't start in gear as there is a kickstand saftey switch. Also, make sure your kill switch is in the run position. It is located right above your starter switch.

Last edited by justasquid; 09-12-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:44 PM

Ok I'll try that the straps were wrapped really tight and it was on the start button so I may have dislocated something when I pulled the strap off so if that is the problem is it bitch a to fix

Old 09-12-2009, 02:37 PM

So any ideas

Old 09-12-2009, 03:18 PM

You may just have to take the collar right off and see if you get to the switch from inside. Remove the couple of screws and the collar splits into two halves. Once its apart, you'll have to look and see if there is anything you can do. Im not sure if the switch is fully contained switch or not.

The only real problem is if the switch is sticking, it more than likely means something broke inside and the broken piece is logged somewhere locking it up. they are only plastic and if your tie down was pressing on it, it very well may have broken it. The spring may also be stuck or broken. If it were me, I would buy the entire collar on ebay. If you dont want to wait, call a dealership to see if they have one in stock.

if you can pull back on it and it just feels loose, I would replace it.

One thing you can also to is unplug the switch. Turn your ignition and see if your lights now come on. If they do, its gotta be your switch messing that up too.

Also, depending on your location, you may beable to find a salvage yard that deals with bikes. they may have one. I'm not sure which ones would interchange though. I would try to stick with your bike model. I think 03-05 are all the same. Newer ones may work, but the plug may have to be spliced in to work.

Last edited by justasquid; 09-12-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:42 PM

Alright I'll try that and see what happens thanks I'll post back later keep a look out for me thanks

Quick Reply: Bike won't start