General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Shutting off

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Shutting off

I have a 2006 Cbr 600 RR, it started randomly shutting itself off at all speeds. I took it in and they checked the wiring harness and the battery voltage and both were fine. I got back on the road and it shut off again.

I took it to another dealer and they replaced the tip-oversensor. After 6 weeks I got it back and it did it again.

Can someone please help me ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Old 08-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to give a little more information about the bike. Such as the amount of miles on the bike, where its stored, if its ever been down... things like that.

Also, does this only happen while riding? or all the time?

having said that. It sounds like your loosing connection somewhere in your main harness. It could be a loose connection at the battery, the battery itself, a loose or corroded ground wire, or loose terminal connection somewhere in the harness. Or, even at the fuse block itself. Those terminals can sometimes back out.

Main things I would check. The wires on the battery, make sure the connections are all good, including where the terminals are crimped onto the wire. Inspect the battery itself. Sometimes, the terminal blocks can become loose from the battery itself. Also check to make sure nothing is corroded. It doesn't take much to break connection randomly.

Check all ground wires. In fact, it might be a good idea to remove all connections you can find and clean them. Put on some dielectric grease on all connections and plugs.

Check your main fuse block to make sure the terminal clips are intact. Also, pull the fuse to make sure they are clean.

If this only happens while your riding, it could be the kickstand switch out of adjustment or loose. Inspect that first.