General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike I just Purchased CBR 600 F2

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike I just Purchased CBR 600 F2

Hello all I just recently purchased my first motorcycle whitch was a cbr 600 f2, and it has a little bit of problems and I was wandering if you could help me with whats wrong. So I can avoid paying high end mechanic prices unless absolutely necessary. First problem is the bike is in my garage and everytime i go into the garage now it smells like gas so bad I feel like i'm about to pass out, and the bike will run/start up when the little Fuel valve on the side is shut to off I don't know if its suppose to do that cause I know nothing about bikes. Second thing is the throttle sticks really bad when I rev up the bike it just keeps reving cause the throttle will not roll back unless I manually force it to. The third thing is when i'm pulling back the clutch it feels like i'm trying to pull a 100 pound weight back, and I was at a shop a few days ago and went around to the couple of used newer cbr's and the clutch came back with ease. I don't know if thats just happens with older bikes or somethine needs to be replaced. Other then that the bike starts and rides great. Any help on this will be great thanks.

Old 12-26-2005, 10:29 AM
Default RE: Bike I just Purchased CBR 600 F2

Well to answer your questions,

1) As far as smelling like gas in your garage, you definately have a leak somewhere, take off the gas tank and see if there are any loose or damaged hoses.

2) Yes, your bike can start with the fuel switched off, but it SHOULD AND WILL die after a few minutes of running it since all the gas in the lines will now be used up.

3) as for the throttle, either the spring is worn out, or when the guy put on his grips, he got glue in there. But defaintely needs to be fixed as it is very dangerous,

4) Seems to me that the clutch line needs to be changed. if it snaps when you are riding, you can still drive it home since you can still shift without a clutch, but i would change the line if were you

Old 12-26-2005, 11:48 PM
Retired Administrator

I'm assuming you're not thinking about riding it until you replace the throttle cable?

As for the fuel smell, do you have any signs of a leak? Fell for fuel on/around the engine. Also, are you shutting the fuel off when it's parked? Are you playing around with the fuel valve/petcock? Some bikes have an off/run/start setting. I have an older bike that has off/on/run. The run or start setting will let fuel run through the carbs no stop allowing you to prime them after you run out of fuel.

The clutch issue. This might work with your throttle as well. Take the cable off and use Lithium Grease to see if it frees them up a little. If they are in bad shape, replace them. How long has the bike been sitting and was it outside or garaged?

Old 12-27-2005, 07:58 PM

I have no idea about how long the bike has been sitting. I would say a long time I just purchased it off ebay a few weeks ago, and picked it up and parked it in my garage I did notice the the license plate has not been renewed in almost 3 years, so I would say that its been parked for a long time. On another note my dad did ride the bike in its current condition, and was able to go 10+ miles with the fuel valve turned to off. So i'm guessing that the valve is bad and is not shutting off, and that could be the reason of the gas smell? On a side note the ebay auction did list as been garaged kept, and when I picked it up it was in a shops garage. My dad is not a bike expert when it comes to the mechanics of it, but he did say it rides and handles well other then the throttle sticking, and the clutch being really hard to pull back. Thats all I really know about it.

Old 12-27-2005, 10:26 PM

I don't know your financial situation, but from my experience it's always a good idea to get your bike looked over by an expert. It shouldn't have enough gas to run in off for more than a minute, so i'd have that checked out.

This should help too. http://www.diff.ru:8000/Honda_CBR_60...ice_Manual.zip

Old 12-27-2005, 11:54 PM

ebay bad [:@]

Old 12-28-2005, 02:00 PM

Yea Probably so shaz, but the bike was really cheap so even if I have to put a grand in it i'll still come out ahead.

Old 12-28-2005, 06:13 PM

sell the fairings and parts make more money on it

Old 12-28-2005, 06:15 PM

anyway I would drain the tank
remove it check on the wiring under

for the throttle make sure the side aint sticking
I usually put some WD40 on the sticky right side of throttle where the grip doesnt rotate
you may also lube the cables

Old 12-30-2005, 12:18 AM

Since you got the bike cheap, you might as well fix everything yourself. If you work on the bike with your dad, it will be a bonding and learning experience. And after you do all the required maintenance, you will know more about motorcycles than 99 percent of the riders out there.

First get a manual. The Haynes manual has a lot more than the Honda manual. The clutch cable and throttle cables are too important not to replace. Route the new cables next to the old ones before you disconnect the old ones. And lube them good. Change the oil, brake fluid, gas, spark plugs, and antifreeze. Honda has a kit for fixing the petcock. Clean the carbs, including the float chambers and piston diaphrams. Replace all the brake pads with Dunlopads or EBC and replace the fuel filter, chain, sprockets and tires. Check the timing with a standard timing light. For a lot less than $1000 and your own labor, you will have a great bike.

Quick Reply: Bike I just Purchased CBR 600 F2