General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike was dropped, now it dosent start.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if the cylinders were filled up with oil or gas, you should here at least a little click of the starter gear or solenoid. The way it sounds to me is it isn't even getting that far. I would say loose wire or connector on either the starter, solenoid, or kill switch circuit. Check and make sure you have 12v on the fuse for the fuel pump, that would ensure that the killswitch is most likely working.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:57 PM

thanks for the answers guys. i will check the kick stand and all the wires tomorrow. Also the bike is in neutral and the light does come on, and yes even in neutral it does not start. also when i do push the start button it does make clicking noise. so can i rule out the battery and the spark plugs?

Old 06-02-2009, 10:05 PM

Clicking noise would be starter. Possibly battery is too low to turn the engine over or your starter is bad. Try to charge your battery if possible first off and see if that doesn't cure it

Old 06-03-2009, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Speedemon636
Clicking noise would be starter. Possibly battery is too low to turn the engine over or your starter is bad. Try to charge your battery if possible first off and see if that doesn't cure it
just curious so i know in the future, how did dropping the bike would have drain the battery, if that is the problem? also could it really be the starter if the bike was dropped on the left side while the starter is in the right?
and thanks for the answer.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:13 PM

Have you tried to jump the relay?

Before you do that, put your bike in a tall gear, like 4th or 5th and move your bike back and forth. See if the engine spins over with the bike. If it does, then I would try to push start it like already suggested.

If it does push start, try and jump the relay to see it cranks over. If it does, its possible the starter relay connections loosened up, or the impact may have broken the relay. This is another long shot, but one worth looking at.

Also, have you check all of your fuses?

As far as the clicking noise? Is it a constant clicking, or just one click? A constant clicking would suggest the battery is too low to crank the engine over. Just one click would indicate the relay kicked on, but the starter didnt engage.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:51 PM

Well if it clicks, you can probably rule out fuses, still maybe loose or poor connection but what I would do first is check the battery voltage while you're trying to start it, if it drops way down then either the battery is weak or the starter is drawing to much current. If the voltage doesn't drop way down (below 11 or so) I would yank the plugs out and try to turn it over, it's a stretch but hell, who knows, all it would take is for 1 cylinder to be full of gas or oil to stop it from cranking.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by shinna202
just curious so i know in the future, how did dropping the bike would have drain the battery, if that is the problem? also could it really be the starter if the bike was dropped on the left side while the starter is in the right?
and thanks for the answer.
Well you never know as far as the battery.. Could of poured a lot of the acid out the battery vent tube or could of knocked wires loose causing a slight battery drain when the ignition is off...but it was just a suggestion really. As far as the starter, i ment like maybe the nut may be loose on the starter and knocked the starter cable loose when it jarred against the ground.. I mean i could help you a lot more if i was there in person, but i'm just throwing out simple soulutions hoping one would work for you.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:18 AM
Banned

did you try to reset the tip over sensor it may help just my 2cents

Old 06-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rock28star
did you try to reset the tip over sensor it may help just my 2cents
F3's don't have one, as someone pointed out.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:14 AM

thanks for all the replies guys.

as far as the battery, i went and bought a brand new one, but it still does not start. Before i went to buy it i jump started it with the old one and it started but died out after about of minute. Also im going to check all the connections again, also went and bought all new spark plugs that im going to be putting in.

Quick Reply: bike was dropped, now it dosent start.