General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike was dropped, now it dosent start.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike was dropped, now it dosent start.

i have a 96 f3, and currently it has a flat tire on the rear and it tipped over to the left side while it was on. After that it dose not start. What do i look for? it was starting and running just fine before the drop, but after it does not start.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unhook the battery for a few minutes, that should reset the BAS.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:51 PM

I dont think the F3 has a bank angle sensor.

Check all of your switches, like kickstand switch, killswitch, ignitions switch.

Does it crank over? or does it do nothing?

Old 06-01-2009, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by justasquid
I dont think the F3 has a bank angle sensor.

Check all of your switches, like kickstand switch, killswitch, ignitions switch.

Does it crank over? or does it do nothing?
it does nothing. could have the batter die some how?
all the lights work though. spark plugs?

Old 06-01-2009, 11:21 PM

Hmm, the drop may of popped the starter ground off or something?.. If your lights work, it's not the battery. And even if plugs were bad,it would still turn over. I'd check the starter wires for sure. 'Course the battery could be too low to crank..if you have a **motorcycle** battery charger, stick it on for a bit. I wouldn't suggest trying to jump it with a car..

Old 06-01-2009, 11:25 PM

If its not doing anything, i would look into the kickstand switch, or neutral safety switch. Both of those switchs will prevent the engine from turning over.

Have you tried to start the bike neutral?

Old 06-01-2009, 11:45 PM

Mine starts w/ kickstand down..just has to be in neutral like you said

Old 06-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you push start it? how long was it on its side? I parked my bike in the grass, then it rained while I was at work and the kickstand sank and the bike tipped, it layed there for a few hours. Then wouldnt start, acted like a dead battery, come to find out it was hydrolocked.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:44 AM

is there a picture of showing how the starter ground wires are suppose to be?
and where are the kickstand switch, or neutral safety switch at? and i tried to start the bike in neutral but it does not crank. and it was on the side for maybe 30 sec. or so. i was standing right next to in when this happened. also if is is hydrolocked what do i do? and what is hydrolocked really mean?

Old 06-02-2009, 03:28 PM

the bike on the ground for 30 seconds really shouldnt have done anything. Generally, when a bike sits on its side for a long time, oil can fill the cylinders up and pressure will not allow the bike to turn over. However, in some cases, the gas from the carbs could have flowed into the cylinders and locked the engine up. I really dont think there is enough gas in the carbs to do so, but it is a possibility.

To remedey this if its what happened. Pull all of your spark plugs, crank the engine over a few times and see if cranks. If it does, crank it a few times to clear out the cylinders and put the plugs back in. Oh, and when you crank it over with the plugs out, place a towel over the plug holes to stop the gas and oil from spraying all over the place.

If it is locked up from oil or gas in the cyliders, you don't want to push start it. Doing so may result in bending a rod.

The kickstand switch is located on the kickstand. Follow the wires and it will lead you to the kickstand switch. But, if doesnt start in nuetral, thats not your issue anyway. If your Neutral light is on the dash, you can probably rule out the Nuetral safety switch as well. But, I think on that bike it is located back by the rear of the engine, right about the middle of the case, it should be a single wire.

I can't remeber if that bike has a clutch switch or not. But it would be worth looking at.

Quick Reply: bike was dropped, now it dosent start.