General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike died need some opinions

Old 09-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike died need some opinions

okay going to make this story short. bike died at stoplight, checked fuses, replaced blown fan fuse, check battery, it was drained, got a jump.

drove 2 miles, bike died again, checked fuses, all were fine, battery dead again, suspect radiator fan, unplug fan, get a jump, drive 13 miles, bike dies again.

im only 4 miles from home, plug fan back in since im close, get a jump, make it home, let bike idle to look at fan to see if tis spinning, its not spinning but as i look away i hear a click and look back and its spinning, bike slowly dies.

ok the fan is clearly draining the battery but is it the fans fault or the batteries fault? even with the fan unplugged the bike still died, although it lasted longer. the battery is an interstate battery thats only a little over a year old, it "should" be fine.

i got the battery on the slow charger right now but i want to know if their is a way to check the fan electrically, as in see if its drawing too much power or something? and a way to check the alternator

anyhelp is appreciated.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:53 PM

No help guys? I know your all better than that!

I charged the battery up and I drove for an hour and ten minutes and it seemed fine but when I got home and shut it off it would not come back on, battery was dead again.

Gonna see if I have a warranty on my interstate batty and try to get a new one, see what happens .

Old 09-12-2010, 09:59 PM

probably not the battery should just take the battery in to advanced auto or someplace like that and have it tested its free, but it is probable either the stator or the rectifier get a voltage gage and unplug the clip and see if the rectifier is getting enough juice, have to check a service manual to see what the proper voltage is for coming out of the rectifier and coming out of the stator, the stator voltage will change as the bike revs higher it will pump out more power the bike will run without them for a little while as long as the battery is charged

Old 09-13-2010, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by stretch_the_apex
probably not the battery should just take the battery in to advanced auto or someplace like that and have it tested its free, but it is probable either the stator or the rectifier get a voltage gage and unplug the clip and see if the rectifier is getting enough juice, have to check a service manual to see what the proper voltage is for coming out of the rectifier and coming out of the stator, the stator voltage will change as the bike revs higher it will pump out more power the bike will run without them for a little while as long as the battery is charged
well i just put in a new RR around july and I did put my hand on the RR to see if it was hot the other day, it wasn't, so maybe the stator like you said. damn those are expensive though.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:02 PM

yeah not fun they are testable tho i believe you can take it out and take it to your local bike shop and they can test it before you start spendin money on a new one

Old 09-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Check the manual for your bike (not sure what you have). Most Stators can be checked with just a meter, and it's done right from the connector that plugs into the R/R. The Stator is basically 3 coils of wire, so you're just checking the resistance through each of the coils, and to make sure none of them are shorted out to ground.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:20 AM

well it worked for a week and a half then just anhour ago it died again on me. this blows, i have hardly any cash since im in college and i bought this thing to save money but instead everything i have saved gets dumped into fixing this damn bike. sorry, end rant.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:49 AM

hey man its not so bad. i felt the same way two weeks ago.

you should really check the stator. after my r/r went out, it fried my stator cause it was throwing current back to it or something. i went the cheap road and bought just the rectifier, and it blew up in 10 mins. it checked out ok, then i went for a 10=15 min ride, came home and checked, it was broke.12.0 at battery, bike running etc..

so i replaced the stator with one from electrosport $160 shipped to my house in 2 days. 1 year warrenty on it so if it breaks again you get another for free.

then i bought another oem replacement r/r with big fins, $65 shipped in three days. total cost is about $220

much cheaper then going to honda, they wanted $400 something just for the stator!

Old 09-21-2010, 11:34 AM

ya i have like 200 tops to spend on this thing.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:59 PM

the stator is really only like $130 but i spent extra for fast shipping. so you can probably get everything for about 200. oh and check your harness for bad connections and shorts and stuff, so you dont end up braking your new stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bike died need some opinions