General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best way to store a battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ryans93honda
Luckily the dealership that I bought my battery from is going to warrenty the battery since it's not even a year old. When I get this new battery should I just leave it in the bike year round and charge it ever so often even though it will be sitting for 4-5 months? I keep my bike in a heated garage which stays at least 55. Or in my situation would it be better to take the battery out?

Thanks,
Ryan

u don't have to take the battery out , just unplug it the positive wires from the battery.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tender also maintains the batteries charge. Not a continuous charging. It will switch to maintain mode after the battery is fully charged, then when the battery drops below 80% (I think that's what my instructions stated) it will switch to charge mode.

I had my bike on the tender all last winter in a friends garage. Went out on a warmer winter day to go for a ride, and the bike started right up. Other than starting it once in a while, it sat on the charger for about 4 months. I think I took the tender off the bike to start it 2 or 3 times. Rest of the time it was plugged in. Same with this past winter, even though it was as cold this winter. But I had the tender on since November.

Just get a tender, and plug it in, even if the bike sits for a few weeks, the tender will take care of the battery properly. Should be fine left plugged in.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I get this new battery should I just leave it in the bike year round and charge it ever so often even though it will be sitting for 4-5 months?
My bike also stays parked in a garage. I have the pigtails connected to the battery terminals so I can easily connect my Battery Tender Junior to it. I keep it connected all the time whenever I'm finished riding for the day, even if I plan on riding tomorrow.

A Battery Tender Junior will not overcharge or harm a battery, no matter how long you leave it hooked up.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:25 AM

I have a tenderizer I got from harbor freight for 8 bucks. Just watch for the coupon. Works great. I also installed a cigarette lighter receptacle and put the plug on the tenderizer so i can pull in my garage and plug her right in. Easy as could be.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
I don't even remove the battery from my bike over the winter. I have a pigtail from the terminals to the rear compartment where I plug in a Battery Tender Jr. I leave it plugged in all winter long.

You can find them for less than $20 with a bit of Google searching.
Battery Tender FTW. I have all my bikes wired. When I park the bike for a while. Pop the seat and pull out the plug.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by adiopunki7
I have a tenderizer I got from harbor freight for 8 bucks.
Does it also work on steaks?

Sorry, it's been a slow Friday here at work.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:27 PM

Have you guys seen where the cheapest place to buy a battery tender JR is? Besides Walmart? I'm not really too into that store (sorry). Would like to purchase it from a store physically instead of online if I can help it.

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 02-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you guys seen where the cheapest place to buy a battery tender JR is? Besides Walmart? I'm not really too into that store (sorry). Would like to purchase it from a store physically instead of online if I can help it.

Thanks,
Ryan

check this out >
Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger: Automotive

Old 02-24-2012, 11:20 PM

Thanks,
Ryan
I got mine at Cabelas. It was on sale. I think I paid $25 for it.

Also, try Harbor Freight, if you have one close by.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:50 PM

I know where you can buy it for $19.99 and no sales tax but it is an online source. I bought mine from them. I'd post the link but they're not a site sponsor.

Quick Reply: best way to store a battery?