General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Keeps Dying...Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Keeps Dying...Please help.

I have a 2006 CBR1000RR in which I recently swapped out the front and rear blinkers. This required some wireing and I think i may have created a short or something somewhere. The bike was working great then4 rides after which was about a week later i was riding, I shut the bike off for a few minutes, no more then 5 minutes, then it wouldnt start again. The battery had drained. I started it up the old fashion way and it ran fine the rest of the afternoon and started back up again too. When I got home I checked all the wiring and all the connectors seemed to be good with no exposed wires. It worked fine for about a month until this weekend I replaced the front signals. It started up fine both Sat and Sun. However this morning, Monday, the battery was dead again. Could I have a short somewhere? a bad ground? Arc'ing? bad connection to the battery which is shifting position? Maybe the battery is just going bad? Seems the battery is running out while the bike is running or its off. I am going to run an voltmeter against the batterytomorrow and recheck all the wireing I modified, but any other ideas as to what to check would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Old 07-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Battery Keeps Dying...Please help.

you should be checking the rectifier to where the problem actually lies, in the alternator or rectifier itself.
do a search in the 1KRR section...i believe there was a recall or TSB on the RR's charging system.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:19 PM

Cool thanks, I found a few articles about the Stator failing. I will test with a multimeter tomorrow evening. I believe I should see a fluctuation in the battery voltage if its charging while the bike is on.It appears speratic though because why would it break then charge itself all of a sudden for a month then stop chanrging again. It's almost like there a ground or hot wire thats bouncing around and maybe hitting the frame and discharging whether the bike is on or off. Also seemsvery coincidental that it was right after I was messing with the wireing, both times.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:47 PM

I have a similar sounding problem, what ended up being the cause for you? Did you fix it?
________
Wellbutrin lawsuit

Last edited by F4iMane; 09-09-2011 at 05:52 AM.