CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

My battery keeps dying on me

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My battery keeps dying on me

i got a 1992 cbr f2. my battery keeps dyin oon me
i bought a new one it ran like normal for like 2 weeks riding around the neighbor hood since it aint legal. sso i ran it about evry two days. and now i have to jump it off again. my friends say its my rectifier . i wanna to hear the truth from my f2 boys.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a meter and see what current its pushing out on the battery post when running

Old 01-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea sounds like the rectifier. To test it you need a voltmeter
Charge the battery and make sure its at 12 vots or higher
Turn on the engine and slowly rev it up to 5k or so
The voltage should rise as you rev it up to like 14 volts
If the voltage goes down as you rev or stays put then replace the rectifier.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:06 PM

every one hit it , check voltage while runnin, sounds like it needs a rectifier or stator both...no big deal to replace, check it out and give the feed back, yoool get rite...

Old 01-12-2010, 07:16 PM

DON'T test current across the battery terminals, just to make that clear. It's something of a safety concern. Test the voltage across the terminals, and test the current in line with the ground or power to the battery if you are curious about that too. If you set the meter to DC Amperes, and measure across the battery terminals, you might end up holding something that will have become on fire. Look at the "Regulator Rectifier Problem Solved" sticky thread for the procedure.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimmyHoffa
DON'T test current across the battery terminals, just to make that clear. It's something of a safety concern. Test the voltage across the terminals, and test the current in line with the ground or power to the battery if you are curious about that too. If you set the meter to DC Amperes, and measure across the battery terminals, you might end up holding something that will have become on fire. Look at the "Regulator Rectifier Problem Solved" sticky thread for the procedure.
Never heard of this since this is what most people do. Life is about gambles but we all do it .

Old 01-12-2010, 10:03 PM

wait... so you're suggesting that if you connect one multimeter lead to the positive terminal and one to the negative and turn the multimeter to DC Amperes, that the meter will give you a reading of any value at all and also not harm the multimeter?

Last edited by JimmyHoffa; 01-12-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wait... so you're suggesting that if you connect one multimeter lead to the positive terminal and one to the negative and turn the multimeter to DC Amperes, that the meter will give you a reading of any value at all and also not harm the multimeter?
I tested it with both leads on the battery terminals, but I set the multimeter to test for Voltage not amperage.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:20 PM

Yup. Amperage would have meant destruction. The voltage check described in the sticky is all you should need to diagnose it.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haven't played with mine much but to my understanding it has a built in 10 amp fuse.

Work provided me with a Wavetek Meterman 37XR

Quick Reply: My battery keeps dying on me