General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery keeps dying

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 03:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery keeps dying

So having a few issues with my new bike. Bought new battery because starter would not turn over. Used it for about 2 and a half weeks. Now the starter turns over and slows down. I need to push start it to get it to run now. I have a feeling its the alternater or something. Don't think its charging the battery like it should. Replaced wiring for the regulator recently. Has 3 yellow wires for the alternater. Not sure if you can mess it up by plugging wires in wrong. Any light shed would be awesome. Thanks.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:54 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's either the stator which charges the battery or your having something draining the battery. Does bike have alarm system? Or any aftermarket wiring? Believe to check if the stator is working or not....let the bike run, idle. Then disconnect the positive (+)wire on the battery...on disconnect, if bike still idles (does not shut off) your stator is fine. But if bike shuts off when you disconnect the (+) wire. Stator is bad...

But if you can push start the bike...and it runs fine? Stator should be good because you did it when battery is bad...hmmm...got to check what is wrong?

Originally Posted by Paranoia
So having a few issues with my new bike. Bought new battery because starter would not turn over. Used it for about 2 and a half weeks. Now the starter turns over and slows down. I need to push start it to get it to run now. I have a feeling its the alternater or something. Don't think its charging the battery like it should. Replaced wiring for the regulator recently. Has 3 yellow wires for the alternater. Not sure if you can mess it up by plugging wires in wrong. Any light shed would be awesome. Thanks.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:19 AM
February 2012 ROTM

Oh, check you starter? Check the connect to starter. Can it be faulty? If a weak starter may feel like a weak battery??

Old 08-10-2011, 03:49 PM

I don't think it's the starter. Because first battery was dead and didn't charge. So I got another one and it worked for 2.5 weeks. After that, it tries to turn over and start, but goes too slow to turn the engine over. I have a feeling it's the alternator not charging the battery correctly. :/ Maybe not. Ill check out the starter tho.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:35 PM

If you have a multimeter set it to voltage, start the bike and put the leads of the meter across the battery terminals. Increase the revs and watch to see if the voltage increases. You should see 13.5/14.2 volts. Any less then the alternator isn't charging the battery. It could be a faulty rectifier. Not sure about the correct connections of the 3 wires you mention, but get yourself a Haynes manual and look at the wiring diagrams at the back for your model.

Originally Posted by Paranoia

Old 08-10-2011, 05:26 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Anyone...Please explain what is the functional purpose of rectifier? Is it some sort of relay?

It could be a faulty rectifier. Not sure about the correct connections of the 3 wires you mention, but get yourself a Haynes manual and look at the wiring diagrams at the back for your model.[/QUOTE]

Old 08-11-2011, 01:35 AM

Don't have a voltage meter, but will get one this week and test.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:54 AM

Usually it’s the rectifier thats the culprit so best to check it first. The Stator(not starter) is basically your alternator.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:01 AM

Quick Reply: battery keeps dying