General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base carb for syncing cbr 900?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 02:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Base carb for syncing cbr 900?

Ok guys. Going to be syncing my carbs. I somewhat know what I'm doing. I am confused by these manuals that i have though. I have a factory service manual from honda 96-99 (not original, its copied) and a haynes manual. Anything I mention here is looking at the carbs from the seated position.
Both manuals show different locations for the sync adjusting screws. The factory manual shows them to the left of carbs 1,2,&3. The haynes shows them to the right of 1,2,&3 (which is how they actually are).They both say the base carb is #3 and that it can't be adjusted.
Both say the vacuum take off screws/plugs are on cylinders 1,2,&4. The vacuum take off screws on my bike are under carbs 1,3,and 4. The fuel tap vacuum hose is connected to cylinder 2 manifold. Carb 2 has no take off screw for an adapter and it has the vacuum hose underneath so wouldn't that be the base/master carb? I do see that the idle adjustment cable is going to carb 3 , so that is one reason to believe that is the base carb. Is it possible that the carbs were replaced with a different set? I included some photos just in case. I bought the bike used. The bike runs fine. I just took them apart this winter to clean them. Thanks a lot.
[img]ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting[/img]

Old 03-30-2013, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

base carb is carb with idle screw, sync the others off that one with the little screw in between each carb. there is only one screw in between each carb. you might have to look hard with a light to see em, its not too difficult to get to on most bikes though. lift tank, also, maybe or may not have to take off air cleaner too to get to em.