General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balancing Tires Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 02:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancing Tires Necessary?

Is it critical to balance your tires when you get them mounted? Im running thru a fix here because the place I got my tires put on charged me $24 to put the tires on, but they cant balance them. I was wondering how bad it would be to ride on unbalanced tires? Otherwise i have to pay $60 at another place just to blance them because they're going to charge me the full cost of mounting and balancing.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Balancing Tires Necessary?

How long is a piece of string. It depends on how bad they need to balanced, especially the front tyre. Unbalanced can set up a nasty wobble (at different speeds) especially when back off, say for a corner.
I've balanced a tyre where a friend worked weekends at a garage, using a broom handle mounted between two workbenches, its not hard to do, surely these guys have tools there you would think if their in the business of replacing tyres. Is there anywhere else you could take it, cos these guys sound like amateurs & may root your rims as well.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:26 AM

Sorry, should have read the last part of your post, check around a bit more. Most places charge you less if you take the wheels in yourself. At the very least, have your front tyre balanced. Its the most sensitive. Cos its the one that determines which direction your heading, & feed back through the bars. Another thing to consider is, you may find that the front will wear much faster (with a weird wear pattern to boot)

Old 09-06-2007, 01:59 PM

screw that $60 shop!!!!!!
that's BS....
do it yourself.
won't be perfect, but will come close. go buy wheel weights from autozone, etc...
take off the calipers...spin, the heaviest part of the wheel will always end up on the bottom. so if you spin and a different part of the tire is on the bottom each time, then you're balanced. if it's the same part on the bottom, add the smallest weight possible on the opposite side and spin again. keep going until it no longer stops at the same point.

do the same for the rear, but you'll need to remove the sprocket and cush drive.

t

Old 09-06-2007, 04:50 PM

I cant believe that price tag. The stealership next to my house mounts and balances tires for 10 dollars a rim.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:47 PM

what's a cush drive?

Old 09-06-2007, 06:12 PM

you know when you take off your rear wheel and then the sprocket comes off, you have all them little triangle rubber pieces? they be it.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:36 PM

Here ya go.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/A_mount...cing_pictorial

Old 09-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Retired Administrator

awwww... it's nice having my own automatic tire mounter and computer balancer...

Not really. It just means I'm stuck doing tires for everyone and none of them take their old tires with them.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:34 AM

find a good use to reuse tires...one that the masses would buy...and you'll become a KABILLION TRILLION MAJILLIONAIRRE!

Quick Reply: Balancing Tires Necessary?