General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad week for the bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011 | 12:15 PM
|
Exclamation Bad week for the bike

Hey guys,
So my bike has been giving me hell since friday. I rode it to work and when i got off it wouldnt start. The light would turn on but it didnt have enough juice to turn over. So i had to leave my bike in downtown sf, and wish for the best. I went out and bought a new battery yesterday (SAT) while on my lunch break since i knew that the shops were gonna be closed on sundays. And I went down to my bike last night with my boy and I hooked up my battery backwards. i guess i blew this battery and possibly ruined my starter correct?
My bike is a 95 cbr600f3. I just wanna know what kind of repairs I should be looking at to undo this mistake.

Thanks in advance

Old 05-08-2011 | 01:44 PM

Ahhhh sheit. There was a thread on this, let me try to find it.

Old 05-08-2011 | 01:48 PM
Old 05-08-2011 | 02:30 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

Damn bro...

The F3... its an ALLRIGHT bike.... mine gave me problems every single week..

left me stranded in the hood of springfield, mass one time.... (horrible night)

i would fix it and sell that thing asap its just not worth all the $$$ you are going to be spending every month.

I can say im 95% sure it is your R/R (regulator/rectifier) but your wires to that also might be burned out.... also, your fuel pump could have went bad.

My best advice is to sell it asap, and get a more modern, fuel injected bike.. im sorry i have to tell you that but its the truth..

Old 05-08-2011 | 04:17 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer

my f3 was bullet proof...

but, you did probably mess some stuff up. when you do work on your bike, take your time.

Old 05-08-2011 | 04:52 PM
|

its only got 16000 miles on it. I love it. Im gonna open it all up. my main fuse probably blew from what ive heard. hope the battery is still good after a charge. thanks honda125 ill check those out

Old 05-08-2011 | 05:01 PM
|

Name:  002-1.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  83.3 KB
She made it home safely and I will do the work on her this weekend.

Old 05-08-2011 | 05:43 PM

Check the main fuse ,,and the starter relay . I'm pretty sure the fuses did there job and protected the sub wires ,,You will need to change the neg ground wire from the battery just in case it melted along the connector(s). My only fear would be the ecm / cdi , but you won't know till you check it out ,,and give it a try. The voltage Regulator is more than likely toast ,,plan on replacing that . Keep us in the loop with how it goes.

Old 05-14-2011 | 12:23 AM
|

Turns out it was just the main fuse. Shes running again. I think that the whole thing may have started because all I do are short trips across the city, so my bike probably doesnt have enough time to recharge. But it could be that my alternator went out. Things are looking brighter now.

Old 05-14-2011 | 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Congratulations on getting her back running again. Contrary to others, I think you should keep the bike. Sounds like the only real expense is you had to put a battery in it. No bike is immune to that. I'd check the operation of the R/R by putting a meter on you battery to see what kind of voltages you're getting at different RPM's. If you get 14 to 14.5 between 3k and 5k RPM, you're fine. Just try taking the highway once in a while.

Nice looking F3 by the way.

Quick Reply: Bad week for the bike