General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad - Blown engine!!?!?2

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad - Blown engine!!?!?2

Looking at a crashed bike to buy.. everything is there EXCEPT

Complete 2004 R6, did run, now it doesn't. Long ago, bike went down on it's left side damaging the stator cover area on the engine. Some genius didn't fix the oil leak at the stator, and after a few trips to red-line, guess what happened? The last time the engine ran, it made a really awful sound. Local Yamaha dealership said the crankshaft and rods are likely goners

The engine/bike runs but last time it did was about a year ago and made really bad sound... so do not want to start it again

what do you think>?? i am not the greatist with the internal of these engines.. any knowledge of what maybe he wrong or any ideas of cost...

also

please dont tell me to buy a different bike.. or a new one or anythign like that.. this is for me to fix and maybe either ride the summer or sell for profit so any advice on FIXING the engine would be HELPFUL

Old 03-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bad - Blown engine!!?!?2

how much does it want for it?

Old 03-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Banned

Old 03-21-2008, 05:13 PM

Id offer 2k max. Needs a crankshaft and bearings sounds like. Its mostly labor and more then likely your labor. I wouldnt pay more then 2k for that, thats if the title is clean.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:22 PM

Find out how much an engine goes for used, find out how much they're selling for with working engines, and then decide if your investment will return an amount equal to your time, money, and efforts. Are the plastics still damaged? 2600 seems high. Tell him you've got 2000 cash and see if that changes his mind on the price.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:49 PM

Better think about it,I believe it's averaging bout 2k for used Motor..4gs gets you a runnin machine....

Old 03-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Banned

motor on ebay with low miles and good condition is 1500..1600..1700.. and i told him i had 2100.. he said he wants 2600.. so we will see.. everything on the bike is there.. has some scratchs on the fairings but nothing is missing really or broke.. minus missing air damn covers which is about 15-20 bucks on ebay so nothing major missing..

also.. title is "prior salvage"..but clean in iowa.. i dont know how that will translate in wisconsin.. prob salvage but i am not sure

Old 03-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Banned

anyone else

Old 03-23-2008, 07:11 PM

look for a cheap motor or build a true balanced and printed monster. other than that the cost/end value isnt going to make sense.. besides that who knows what else may be wrong if the previous owner wrecked it then ran it out of oil.. doesnt sound too sharp/safety minded to me and could be a potential life hazard to ride a crooked or bent frame or come down off a wheelie and break something that may be stressed already.

as for a salvage.. I ride one and Im real glad i learned to crash on one and not a brand new money pit..lol but if you are interested in riding it yourself then ya.. a project is good just have the whole frame gone over and i think 2k is a fair price if all else is ok and its just to ride. you prob wont get your investment back if you want to sell\.....

Old 03-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Banned

nothing is wrong except some rash on lower fairings.. and missing air dam's... just bad engine.. it will still start but last time it did it made a bad noise.. so doenst want to start again.. needs to be pulled out or just replaced totally

Quick Reply: Bad - Blown engine!!?!?2