CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   average oil change cost? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/average-oil-change-cost-11278/)

vtec97hatch 03-28-2006 05:13 PM

RE: average oil change cost?

do it yourself and save some money. i paid about $10 a quart for some castrol r4, and about $12 for the filter. so figure $55 after tax.

THECHAD 03-29-2006 07:13 PM

Warming the bike does thin the oil and any sludge or junk in the motor so you get more of the crap out same as a car. I pay 9 bucks a quart and 10 for the filter save the money do it yourself very easy, just watch the hot oil!

Shlock 03-29-2006 11:34 PM

I get my oil from autozone it is like 5.00 per quart and the oil filter is 7 to 10 bucks. This is true about the running of the bike. about 2 to 3 min will allow the oil to flow as well as bring out most of the contaminates since the oil is used for everything.

thirdgenlxi 03-30-2006 02:00 AM

My oil changes usually run about $70.00 doing it myself. $13.00/quart for oil, $12 filter, and a couple cans of brake cleaner for a few bucks

ImmaSquashYou 03-30-2006 03:43 AM

yup, suppose to let the engine run warm/almost hot to change the oil. I use semi-synthetic. I don't go full out synthetic cause its not good if you let full synthetic sit in the engine, however it is better if you DO use it a lot. But during the winter days, you're not gonna use the bike, plus you're not suppose to switch from synthetic to non synthetic. But you can gradually change it if you use reg. oil, to synthetic oil, to fully-synthetic oil. I bought tons of oil from a guy on e-bay, he was really close to shipping was cheap. Cost me like 3.50 a quart for castrol semi-synthetic, i get the filter from the honda dealer for about 8 bucks with the washer. I work full time and go to school full time, i know how much time consuming it is, i traded a days of sleep to change my car's alternator just about 5 days ago, wasn't really fun but whats gotta be done has to be done. Suck it up for like an hour and do it yourself, then treat yourself to something nice for the amount of money you save....-= )

shraz 03-30-2006 06:06 AM

that is a bunch of lies
you can go from synthetic to non and vice versa easily

ImmaSquashYou 03-30-2006 09:19 AM

ORIGINAL: shraz

that is a bunch of lies
you can go from synthetic to non and vice versa easily

No its not, however what you are saying is correct. Let me make this a lil bit more clear. You CAN switch from synthetic oil to non synthetic oil with no problems. Catch is, you are NOT suppose to mix ANY 2 types of oil, that is bad. You will HAVE to completely drain out ALL the oil, as much as you can to the every last drop. Hence this is why i said you are not SUPPOSE to go back and forth with the oils. Being that semi-synthetic is MORE compatible with fully synthetic, you can change the oil gradually which will prevent oil that is still in the engine to be a lil bit more giving in a sense. YOU COULD just swap the oils and shouldn't have any problems, but i wouldn't recommend it.

jordan 04-02-2006 09:09 PM

what weight do you use...10-w30 ?

josho66 04-03-2006 11:06 AM

I got mine done at local shop for $60. I have them do it as I worry about if I have a warranty claim. They have all the records of my services and things.

IronFox 04-03-2006 01:40 PM

honda gn4 oil costs about $15 and the filter for mines about $7. Im thinkin about using mobil1 anyone use it?