CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   average oil change cost? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/average-oil-change-cost-11278/)

plasteredbassist 03-27-2006 04:12 PM

average oil change cost?

just got my bike and was wondering what does an average oil and filter change from your experiences...i have the tools and prob wont have a prob but i work and goto school full time so its more of a time issue otherwise id have no prob doing it. however if im going to save like 50-60 dollars doing it myself then ill manage to find the time haha

DThompson 03-27-2006 05:27 PM

RE: average oil change cost?

You will save 50-60 dollars doing it yourself. The oil I bought was about $10 a quart and the filter was 12 or 13 bucks.

Daniel Thompson

shraz 03-28-2006 01:06 AM

depends which oil quality you use
but the filters usually around 10bucks
and doing it yourself is very easy

1. run bike till you reach 140
2. turn off, put a bucket under the drain bolt, take off the bolt
3. go get a beer and wait 10min
4. put the bucket under the oil filter, remove it
5. plug back the bolt
6. put a thin layer of oil on the filter and put it back hand tight
7. put 3.5 quarts of oil (if f4i)

DThompson 03-28-2006 03:34 AM

Why would you run the bike till its at 140??
Running the bike causes oil to go into the engine which means when you go to drain it you have to wait longer for it to drain all the way out. Second the oil is hot as **** after that and it will burn if you spill it on yourself when you move it.

I normally let the bike set over night and then drain the oil.
Then remove oil filter and so on.

Daniel Thompson

shraz 03-28-2006 05:50 AM

read ur service manual
I said 140 cuz thats like 3min of idling

feedingfrenzy 03-28-2006 07:54 AM

my guess would be to get it hot cause it will thin out a bit and drain better but i have no idea lol

Tahoe SC 03-28-2006 12:40 PM

yo supposed to get a crush washer every time mang!
but i didn't...shop gave me this washer that won't crush but it's all good cause it won't leak either so i just reuse.

F4iGuy33 03-28-2006 01:57 PM

I just changed the oil in mine and it cost me like $27.00 for the parts (but i think i got a little discount cuz i new the service guy but still wouldnt be very much). Just the normal honda oil and filter and it took maybe 15-20 min just let it drain fill it up and let it run no problem.

plasteredbassist 03-28-2006 02:25 PM

im gonna call a couple local svc dealers my main concern is when my friend just bought his new r6 they told him avg oil change cost was around 200 but this was also while trying to seel him the extended svc plan which covers oil changes so im thinking this number is way off if its about 35-40 on avg for a car what would a bike cost?

shraz 03-28-2006 05:00 PM

60-80bux