General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

arrows on tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007 | 12:52 AM
Retired Moderator
Default RE: arrows on tires

ORIGINAL: SpiritRR

Okay, sorry, call me superstitious, but what are the chances that BlueFox would post at the exact same time I edited my message to include a link to his old post about backwards wheels? That's ****ing creepy...change your **** back the right way, please man
Wow, not just same moment but down to the same exact second even!! that should be creepy and eerie enough to make you have it changed to the correct direction a.s.a.p.

btw, i've always checked to make sure arrows are correct direction and know you can't tell by the thread, but can someone tell me why it needs to go a certain direction? just curious.

Old 10-22-2007 | 01:05 AM

Because the front tire will try to come apart under heavy deceleration!!!

http://www.ama-cycle.org/roadride/tires.asp

Old 10-22-2007 | 01:18 AM
Retired Moderator

muchos gracias Spirit. [sm=smiley20.gif]
Confirms what I thought but didn't know for sure until now.

Old 10-22-2007 | 05:08 AM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: SpiritRR

Okay, sorry, call me superstitious, but what are the chances that BlueFox would post at the exact same time I edited my message to include a link to his old post about backwards wheels? That's ****ing creepy...change your **** back the right way, please man
HAHAHA. How the HELL did you notice that???? I honestly sat here for 5 minutes trying to figure out what you were talking about.

Old 10-22-2007 | 09:04 AM

Its a little tough to see cause the pic is dark, But my tire is on right
and the pattern is clearly opposite....Like everyone else said, Get that fixed ASAP
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  68.0 KB

Old 10-22-2007 | 10:30 AM

Yeah... I've looked over it several times myself and I'll +1 the "tires not right" vote. The arrows will always point the way the tire moves when you move forward. I'd get it fixed pronto! To quote the link mentioned above... (this is about why you should mount the tire correctly) ~~~

"The other big reason for noting wheel direction has to do with the manufacturing process. The tread rubber is initially a flat strip that's cut to length, at an angle, and then spliced together with the two ends overlapping, creating a hoop. Under acceleration, a tire mounted backwards will try to peel back this splice. The opposite is true for the front wheel, where directional forces are reversed under hard braking."

Old 10-22-2007 | 12:17 PM

Get that fixed! BTW, NYErion, your bike looks awesome.

Old 10-22-2007 | 07:04 PM

Wow... - Never noticed that one before - Front tread on Motorcycles is reversed? - I just checked my Dunlop Sportmax Qualifiers, and yes the "AquaChutes" run from the outside in when it rolls forward (Opposite of my GoodYear Assurance Triple Treads on the Minivan) - Arrows on the Rim, BrakeRotor,andTire all point in the direction of travel.- Rear tires are normal (chutes channel water away from the center...

Strange. - No idea why that would be - If it were for the "Braking" reasons listed, why wouldn't Auto tires do the same? - Perhaps a more agressive tread when cornering?

Old 10-22-2007 | 11:10 PM

Yeah, I love engineering/design conundrums like that--my guess would be that since cars have four contact patches checked by four brakes, the tires don't have the same requirements to stop successfully, whereas on a bike, essentially the whole thing only contacts the road by a small patch on the front tire under heavy braking and if the pattern weren't reversed it couldn't channel water out of the way fast enough--I have no idea. Where the hell is Snowboarding? I swear to god if something happened between last night and today because of this arrow thing...

Old 10-23-2007 | 09:51 PM
|

So motorcycle tires are supposed to have backwards tread on the front tire huh? Sorry I've been extremely busy with crap. I've been planning my trap to Deals Gap and my grandpa has been sick and ended up dying this morning at 230am I guess. I had still planned on going to the trip but then checking the weather down there today it is supposed to rain. Maybe these were just 2 signs that I WASN'T supposed to go but I was supposed to go get my tire fixed. /shrug I'm pretty sure the wheel only goes on one way. I don't think they take the rotors off when they put a tire on a rim and balance it do they?! I just find that really really odd that the tread would force the water under the tire instead of away from it. So everyones tire is backwards in the front?

Well since I have the next freaking 5 days off I guess I'll head to the shop and get it fixed. I'll first try to put the tire the other way around but I remember when I tried to put it on originally I had it backwards because the spacer was on the wrong side or something so I flipped it around. I don't know I think it was Tahoe that told me that the wheel can only go on one way?

Quick Reply: arrows on tires