General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

arrows on tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007 | 05:57 PM
|
Default arrows on tires

I was changing my oil today and just happen to look at my front wheel and noticed that the arrows on the tire are facing towards the back of the bike. I looked at the rear wheel and noticed that the arrow is facing the front. I have the PP's and I'm wondering if it's supposed to be like that? The tread on the front tire looks correct, I mean the treat starts towards the middle of the tire and as it spins it would move water outward. Are the arrows wrong or is my tire really wrong? weird

Old 10-21-2007 | 06:06 PM
Default RE: arrows on tires

Pics?

Is the arrow on the back tire on the top and the arrow on the front on the bottom?

Old 10-21-2007 | 06:17 PM

The arrows should point in the direction that the tire spins moving forward. That means that if the arrows closer to the ground, they should point to the rear. If they are on top of the tire, they should point to the front...if that makes sense.

Old 10-21-2007 | 06:17 PM
Retired Moderator

^^ Yeah, what six said. However, in any case the arrows should be same direction both rear and front on same side of bike (in forward rotation direction).

Old 10-21-2007 | 09:00 PM

arrow should be pointing backwards at the bottom of the tire, and front-wards at the top of the tire.

Old 10-21-2007 | 10:20 PM
|

Yea it's opposite. The back tire is normal. I thought maybe I mounted my wheel backwards because the rotor arrow is backwards too but that can't be because it can only go on one way.

My front wheel, the tread is how it should be.

A picture where the arrow is

And a close up with macro, top of the tire the arrow is facing the back

A picture of the right side rotor, towards the bottom of the tire the arrow is facing forward so the top it would be facing backwards

According to the tread pattern the tire is all A-ok but not according to the arrows. I guess it really doesn't matter, as long as the tread pattern is right because the front wheel can only go on one way.

Old 10-21-2007 | 10:32 PM

Arrows are supposed to point the direction of forward rotation regardless the tread's appearance.

Old 10-21-2007 | 11:37 PM

Dude, if your wheel only goes on one way, then whoever changed your tire not only put the tire on backwards, they re-installed the brake disc backwards too. It seems pretty obvious what happened, please take it back and show it to the place that did it, they'll fix it free. Then they better say how ****ing sorry they are for not paying attention and give you your next mounting and balancing for free too. Do not leave it like it is, please, I enjoy your comments on here too much to have them suddenly disappear. Are those the Michelins that were on recall? You may know more about that story than I do, but it was about 120/70 2CT's and either PP's or PS's. I don't know the current status of the recall, so I could be waaaay late on this, but seriously, don't leave it or the discs on backwards.

I also just don't see how you could tell if the tread pattern was right or wrong, I mean it should be indistinguishable, isn't that why they put the arrows on? There should be arrows on the wheel itself too...

Man, have you seen this, half way down the page by BlueFox? Are you sure the wheel only goes on one way?

Old 10-22-2007 | 12:07 AM
Retired Moderator

IF I got that wheel changed at a shop, I would take it back and be extremely pissed off about that. That is a serious mistake on the shops part. The one thing keeping us rubber-side-down and they install it wrong. I would demand a refund or some sort of compensation.

Old 10-22-2007 | 12:14 AM

Okay, sorry, call me superstitious, but what are the chances that BlueFox would post at the exact same time I edited my message to include a link to his old post about backwards wheels? That's ****ing creepy...change your **** back the right way, please man

Quick Reply: arrows on tires