General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apache CBR 900...WTF is wrong w/ my bike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010 | 02:43 PM
|
Default Apache CBR 900...WTF is wrong w/ my bike?

MY CBR 900 (93) sounds like a freakin helicopter with the clutch engaged, yet when I pull it in it sounds fine. No to mention it wont idle until it gets up to normal op temps and as soon as I throw it in gear and start to let the clutch out it just dies. I'm guessing it is all related but I'm not 100% sure. Looks like I'm towing this one to the shop.

Here's a video just in case. I just bought this bike and haven't even rode it yet , this was to be my maiden voyage but looks like its going to have to wait a while longer. I'm afraid to ride it the way it sounds if it even would ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TikcvYAD4A

Old 07-17-2010 | 08:41 PM

Man, its hard to tell what happened. What did the previous owner say happened? If he said it just started to happen, he's probably not being completely honest.

It could be the lifter bearing on the clutch. But honestly, it doesnt sound like it. If it is, it must be completely destroyed and the clutch basket is just slapping around in there. or, you could have some issue with the clutch basket itself. It certainly sounds like something clutch related.

However, the clutch looks like it is working, so it could be internal to the transmission since it dies when you try to get moving.

First thing I would do is pull the clutch cover and remove the clutch. The lifter bearing is right there on the outer portion of the clutch basket. You should see right away if its bad. But still pull the clutch apart and inspect the needle bearing on the clutch inner as well. Just remember which way you pull the discs and the plates out. Pull them out one at a time and stack them on a cloth, then when you put them back, just reverse the procedure one by one and you won't have any issues. you want to do this because the clutch discs and steel discs have worn to each other.

If its not the clutch, I would suspect a transmission problem.

But it does sound pretty bad... whatever it is.

Old 07-17-2010 | 09:00 PM
|

Thanks Squidy I will def gives this a
Shot tomorrow. I figure it's worth it before I get a tow anyway. Just one question, I have to drain the engine oil first correct?

Old 07-17-2010 | 09:10 PM

Just one question, I have to drain the engine oil first correct?
You shouldn't have to drain the oil. you will have oil come from the cover, but the majority of it will stay in the oil pan. I would just get a container and put it under the cover for when you split it from the engine to catch the oil there.

Are you using a stand so the bike sits vertical? Or are you leaving the bike on the sidestand? It can make a difference as to how much oil will come out.

Old 07-17-2010 | 09:19 PM
|

I will be using a rear lift stand so it will sit straight up. This should be fun ha!

Old 07-18-2010 | 12:25 PM
|

So I was looking at the service manual and it is showing some special clutch holding tool being needed to hold everything while you take the center nut off. Is there a trick to doing that or do I really need this tool?

Old 07-18-2010 | 03:54 PM

All clutches are a bit different, but as far as I know, you only need the tool to hold the clutch center if your removing the entire clutch. For removing the clutch outer and discs, you shouldn't have to remove it. I think you should be able to see if you have any damage by removing the clutch outer, then the discs. If the inner needle bearing is bad, you would be able to move the clutch basket around. You shouldn't have play between the clutch inner and the shaft. I would just remove the outer, inspect the lifter bearing, if its good, remove the discs and visually inspect the needle bearing. If you think the needle bearing may be faulty, then you will have to either borrow a tool to hold the clutch center, or make your own. But, you could place a call to your local dealership. Many times, the mechanics will allow you to borrow their tools. If they do, just be respectful of the tools and return them in the condition you got them. The tools you borrow are usually the mechanics own tools, not the shops.

Im sure there is a way to hold the clutch outter without the tool, but I've always had access to tools, so I don't know of a readily available way to do it. Just be careful if you use some other method of the clutch inner. They are not as robust as some might think and can crack or chip pretty easy.

Old 07-20-2010 | 10:02 PM
|

How about an impact gun to get it off? I have one that should do the job.

Old 07-21-2010 | 07:30 AM

Im sure an impact gun would get it off pretty easy. However, you run a great risk of damaging the bearings in the clutch, as well as the crank bearings. the impacts are severe and can actually cause the crank to shift into the bearing. Any marring would be disasterous later on.

If it were me, I wouldn't use the impact on it. Its a toss up if you are going to damage anything or not.

Also, since you have to reinstall the nut and torque to the proper value, you will need to find a way to hold it anyway. An impact to tighten the nut is a very bad idea.

Have you gotten the discs out of the basket yet?
How does the lifter bearing feel?
does the clutch basket have any scoring?
Does the clutch basket have any play in it?

Old 07-21-2010 | 09:06 AM
|

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but I will hopefully this Sunday. Work has me pinned down right now. Would you know where I can buy that tool? Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: Apache CBR 900...WTF is wrong w/ my bike?