General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever heard of bead balancing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever heard of bead balancing?

Ok well i plan on installing my own tires and possibly balancing them myself. Now i know that truck tires are balanced with "sand bags" throw into the tire while changing the rim and i guess they self balance. Now they make this for motorcycles but with beads.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm

Has anyone tried/heard of this and if so what do you think?

Old 03-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Anyone ever heard of bead balancing?

hm never heard of it but i think i will stick with bringing the rim and tire into a shop and having them mount and balance..

Old 03-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Registered Users

i have heard of guys doing it, i don't know how the results are though...

Old 03-12-2008, 04:51 PM

mmm interesting. Seems like it makes sense the beeds would end up at the lightest spot since the beads themselfes are heavy. You use 2oz for the rear and 1oz for the front. Even with the force of the tire rolling i still think it would end up at the light spot but who knows. Id love to try it but i just started riding and wouldnt like a mis balancing problem.

How much do you guys pay for a mount and balance btw?

Old 03-12-2008, 06:08 PM
CBRF 2009 AOTY !!

I've been thinking of trying them myself, just wanting some input from real world riders, not the ones trying to sell them.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:36 AM

wow that sounds cool, but like rsp 919 said, i'd like to hear it from a real person. or maybe if they had a video demo on a balance machine or something i dont know
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-16-2008, 11:51 AM

i think thats bs.. the beads will roll to the bottom when you're stopped and once you start moving the centrifugal force will keep them there, creating an artificially heavy spot in the tire. Anyone who has worked at a tire shop im sure has had customers try to get their tires with fix a flat or green slime balanced, it just doesnt work, everytime you spin the tire on the balancer the heavy spots have changed because the liquid, like the beads, just sinks to the bottom when its stopped and stays in that same spot when the wheel's moving. Same as if you ever had a wheel weight fall in a tire as you're mounting it.

I think you would be better off not balancing your tires at all, than by putting beads in it.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:55 AM

You use 2oz for the rear and 1oz for the front.
And another thing 3 oz's is a HECK of a lot to use on a motorcycle tire, i'd bet most of the ppl here with michelins don't have any more than a half oz on the rear, most prolly a quarter.

Even IF you had a 1 oz heavy spot on the rear and IF the beads actually were somehow magically able to stay in the light spot on the tire you would still have 2 oz of weight to compensate for 1 oz/ or 1/4 oz/ or 3/4 oz or however much weight the spot actually needs, and you would just be creating a heavy spot. Just take the tire in to have it balanced i can't imagine a decent shop would charge you more than 10 bucks

Old 03-16-2008, 12:27 PM

Since were on the topic, is 32$ per wheel decent to mount and balance tires or should i just say f*ck it and do it myself?

Old 03-16-2008, 12:47 PM

From the link I get the distinct impression that the product exists for dealers to use even while they still charge me the same to balance tires on a machine...which seems an awful lot like cheating...but I could be wrong.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever heard of bead balancing?