General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody work with Carbon Fiber???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody work with Carbon Fiber???

Hey guys Ive been doing some digging around and i want to make some parts with Carbon Fiber.
I have found a website out of Miami that sells CF kinda cheap, but what i don't know is what kind of resin to use. Im still kinda wondering how to make the molds but i'll set that brige on fire when i get there. Thanks for any advice

Old 04-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Default RE: Anybody work with Carbon Fiber???

If you've never worked with fiberglass I would recommend starting there before you try carbon fiber. A lot of the technique is the same, and fiberglass is, for the most part, cheaper to screw up with. There's a lot of resources availible online, www.fiberglassforums.com is one. It's one of those things that's easy to learn, but difficult to master.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:31 AM
CBRF 2009 AOTY !!

I use a company called Resin Services. You want to use a clear epoxy resin. Good luck in your venture, making carbon parts is way harder than you may think. for sure do like rabbit said and practice with fiberglass.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:26 AM

Yea i thought about doing some fibeglass first, I REALLY dont wanna screw up something thats 35 dollars a yard.
Thanx for the info rabbit. I'll keep track of how it goes.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:24 AM
Banned

I believe that Carbon fiber has to be 'cooked' to make it work. Fiberglass will cure at ambient, but Carbon needs vacuum and autoclaving (oven). Maybe newer Carbon techniques are out there (I am kinda old, did some military/aerospace stuff) so it could be easier now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_...forced_plastic

Old 04-29-2007, 02:53 PM

my brother use to make carbon fiber body parts for his Formula SAE team. he says that while baking it isnt required, it does help. they would vacuum it while heating it using a heat gun. however, it is really expensive so do try fiberglass first. i dont think you have to vacuum or heat fiberglass either. hope that helps!
________
Lovely Wendie99

Last edited by axsys; 05-04-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:13 PM

My friend and myself experimented with hand laying carbon fiber over fiberglass fairings. We did all the fairings including the tank, rear fairing on my cbr 929rr. It does not have to be baked. You do want to use clear epoxy resin and use the good stuff because if you don't the resin will give it more of a yellowish tint, I found this out the hard way. I had to strip everything down after three fairings and start over. We then painted graphics over some of the bike. This is very time consuming because you have to make sure there are no wrinkles. Half way through, he ended up buying the equipment to vacuum form, this is much easier and faster but also very expensive. So my ending result to be honest is ok. I get alot of compliments on the bike but I still notice little things that bother ME, like any owner I see the good and the not-so-good things when something is done to my bike. When I get a chance I'll post pics. Good Luck!