General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another question about tire removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another question about tire removal

so as i already wrote in another post, i am going to send my wheels in to be powdered....

i have read about 5 how-to's on removing the actual front and rear wheels from the bike and it seems like a relatively easy job...correct???? my two questions are this:

1) are they any bearings or anything in particular i will need to replace when i put the wheel back together after powder??? can i just keep everything as i take it apart and then put it back in....

2) how to get the tire off the wheel...i am assuming i will have to take them to my local bike shop??? about how much would it run to have them removed and even more importantly, to be put back on after?

Old 07-12-2007, 11:16 AM
I ♥ CBRF
Default RE: another question about tire removal

You shouldn'tneed to replace anything.I just clean the axle and spacers then grease them up before putting back together.You could probably take the tires off yourself just breaking bead might be tough.Use a few screw drivers to remove the tire (who cares about scratching the rim their about to bepowder coated). Putting them back on I would pay a shop to do...Protect the new investment. Your going to have to get them balanced anyways.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:44 PM

I would get new bearings and seals for sure as you need to remove that stuff and the last thing you want or need is a bearing that is just a little out of whack, plus any seals will need to be replaced anyway. You can't leave them in there as the PC process requires the wheel to be baked at something like 400*

Breaking the bead should be easy. Just let the air out and if you step on the side of the tire, it should let loose. Getting it off will be a challenge, so protect the sidewall as much as you can. Let a shop put the tire back on. The cheapest shop local to me charges $25 per tire.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Registered Users

i have no idea how to take the bearings out of a bike wheel or put them in for that matter, does a shop need to do that??

Old 07-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Users

you know what, i just looked up a tool that allows to get the bearings out for like 40 bucks.....so it seems easy enough....

so if i going to powdercoat my rims...looks like i need to do/have:

1) a set of stands
2) take off the front and rear wheels
2a) take off rotors and or sprockets (cush drive, etc)
3) drive out the bearings (do they have a side indicator, do i need to keep track?)
4) de-flate the tire and pop the bead, then wrestle to get it off (can i do this myself?)
5) clean up and ship the wheel to the coater

get it back

6) replace the bearings both front and back (will i need to do new seals?? 4 right if i do?)
7) take to shop to have them remounted and balanced
8) reinstall the rotors, calipers, sprockets etc
9) reinstall tires, should be good to go?

so i assume i will have to get stands (which i was already planning on) ($100 or so), a bearing remover ($40) and then the cost of the remount and balance about ($50-$70) sound about right....absent the powder coating of course??

Old 07-12-2007, 05:32 PM

I'm not sure you even need a bearing remover. I normally remove bearings in everything I touch with a hammer and a screwdriver or long metal punch. Replacements get set in place with a block of wood and hammer. The puller may make it easier and you might be able to re-use them though once all is done.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Registered Users

so you typically don't reuse your bearings then....just bang em out and replace 'em?

how much do bearings typically run....the main issue i am running into is that i am low on funds...i am getting $400 for a job that i intended to do my wheel powdercoating with....being that i don't have stands...that a $100 right there...so that leaves me $300 (minus $200 for coating +shipping)...i am now down to $100.....

plus I have to pay to have the tires remounted and balanced...another $50 or so...so i am down to $50 left give or take....if bearings are more than $50, i will get the tool for $40 and have $10 bucks for a beer after it's all done, or if i really need new bearings, i will have to scrape up some extra dough!

Old 07-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need new bearings and the seals too.
you don't have to get the tool....get the bearings out anyway that you can since they will be tossed anyway.
as for pressing them back in...get a home depot press...which will consist of a long thick bolt, matching washers...and a couple of nuts...and that is your home made press.