General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another "Bike won't start"

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Official CBRF Decal Man
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ska8terpunk84
Hey guys, my 2001 f4i won't start for some reason. I've checked every fuse and they all appear fine. I've even replaced the starter relay switch and it still won't turn over. The battery is fully charged and every electrical component works such as lights, turn signals, horn, etc. The fuel also primes as well. The only thing I can think I may have messed up was when I reinstalled the battery. I tighten the positive lead first then the negative and then retightened the positive lead and I accidently hit my socket wrench to the subframe or rectifier and it made a spark. Could this spark have messed up the starter in some way? Or could their be a short in the main wire harness? All the fuses look good so I don't think if could be a short. I'm leaning towards changing the starter, but I just wanted some other peoples' opinions on this before I commit to it. Thanks for your help guys.
Its not a fuse because something like that may hurt your battery but not your wiring harness especially if you have full power to your bike, e.g. headlight and turn signals work... you may want to pull a plug and make sure your getting spark, more bike history would help and more detail about what's happening when you turn it over

Old 11-18-2010, 11:46 PM
Official CBRF Decal Man

Originally Posted by ska8terpunk84
When I press the start button, the engine cranks but it doesn't turn over
The biggest thing is that its cranking which means its not your starter so we will rule that out now tonight or tomorrow pull one of your plugs hook it up to your coil pack set it against your motor press the ignition button and see if you have spark to your plug... if your bike cranks but doesn't turn over it normally means you don't have one of the three air, spark, or fuel. Just from my experience as a mechanic working on cars i know bikes are diffrent but they run under the same principles somone may be able to back me up or correct me just a shot though its what i would check let me.know what happens and ill try to help as much as possible.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:09 AM

this is a bit confusing to me. As cranks and turns over mean the same thing to me. When you say cranks but doesn't turn over, Im lost a bit with the terminology used.

Are you saying you can hear the starter engage, but the engine doesn't spin? Or the engine actually spins, but the bike doesn't start?

If it just the engine won't start, then take the advice given and check the plugs. I would also check to make sure your killswitch is in the run position.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Official CBRF Decal Man

Alright sweet if you had no spark that a btich to trouble shoot at times let me know if it was a relay or not we will troubleshoot some more

Old 11-19-2010, 08:52 PM

always check fuel then fire! its 1 of the 2. & i hope u tried pop starting it b4 playing with starter

Quick Reply: Another "Bike won't start"