CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   Another "Bike won't start" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/another-bike-wont-start-118784/)

ska8terpunk84 11-18-2010 08:59 PM

Another "Bike won't start"

Hey guys, my 2001 f4i won't start for some reason. I've checked every fuse and they all appear fine. I've even replaced the starter relay switch and it still won't turn over. The battery is fully charged and every electrical component works such as lights, turn signals, horn, etc. The fuel also primes as well. The only thing I can think I may have messed up was when I reinstalled the battery. I tighten the positive lead first then the negative and then retightened the positive lead and I accidently hit my socket wrench to the subframe or rectifier and it made a spark. Could this spark have messed up the starter in some way? Or could there be a short in the main wire harness? All the fuses look good so I don't think if could be a short. I'm leaning towards changing the starter, but I just wanted some other peoples' opinions on this before I commit to it. Thanks for your help guys.

LJ Harp 11-18-2010 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by ska8terpunk84 (Post 989208)
Hey guys, my 2001 f4i won't start for some reason. I've checked every fuse and they all appear fine. I've even replaced the starter relay switch and it still won't turn over. The battery is fully charged and every electrical component works such as lights, turn signals, horn, etc. The fuel also primes as well. The only thing I can think I may have messed up was when I reinstalled the battery. I tighten the positive lead first then the negative and then retightened the positive lead and I accidently hit my socket wrench to the subframe or rectifier and it made a spark. Could this spark have messed up the starter in some way? Or could their be a short in the main wire harness? All the fuses look good so I don't think if could be a short. I'm leaning towards changing the starter, but I just wanted some other peoples' opinions on this before I commit to it. Thanks for your help guys.

Its not a fuse because something like that may hurt your battery but not your wiring harness especially if you have full power to your bike, e.g. headlight and turn signals work... you may want to pull a plug and make sure your getting spark, more bike history would help and more detail about what's happening when you turn it over

ska8terpunk84 11-18-2010 11:25 PM

I just changed the spark plugs last year and I keep up with the maintenace of my bike. My bike has about 31,000 miles on it and I'm not the first owner. When I press the start button, the engine cranks but it doesn't turn over. The lights turn off like they are supposed when you start it, but it doesn't turn over. Could of there been a short in the wires that connect to the ignition coils? I think the starter maybe the best place to start in order to fix this problem.

LJ Harp 11-18-2010 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by ska8terpunk84 (Post 989265)
When I press the start button, the engine cranks but it doesn't turn over

The biggest thing is that its cranking which means its not your starter so we will rule that out now tonight or tomorrow pull one of your plugs hook it up to your coil pack set it against your motor press the ignition button and see if you have spark to your plug... if your bike cranks but doesn't turn over it normally means you don't have one of the three air, spark, or fuel. Just from my experience as a mechanic working on cars i know bikes are diffrent but they run under the same principles somone may be able to back me up or correct me just a shot though its what i would check let me.know what happens and ill try to help as much as possible.

justasquid 11-19-2010 03:09 AM

this is a bit confusing to me. As cranks and turns over mean the same thing to me. When you say cranks but doesn't turn over, Im lost a bit with the terminology used.

Are you saying you can hear the starter engage, but the engine doesn't spin? Or the engine actually spins, but the bike doesn't start?

If it just the engine won't start, then take the advice given and check the plugs. I would also check to make sure your killswitch is in the run position.

ska8terpunk84 11-19-2010 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lj 900RReno (Post 989271)
The biggest thing is that its cranking which means its not your starter so we will rule that out now tonight or tomorrow pull one of your plugs hook it up to your coil pack set it against your motor press the ignition button and see if you have spark to your plug... if your bike cranks but doesn't turn over it normally means you don't have one of the three air, spark, or fuel. Just from my experience as a mechanic working on cars i know bikes are diffrent but they run under the same principles somone may be able to back me up or correct me just a shot though its what i would check let me.know what happens and ill try to help as much as possible.

From my understanding, I should just remove a spark plug and place it back in the ignition coil without placing it back in the cylinder head. When you say "set it againt your motor", where exactly do you set it against? I'm a bit new with this process and I'm sorry for all the questions.

ska8terpunk84 11-19-2010 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by justasquid (Post 989299)
this is a bit confusing to me. As cranks and turns over mean the same thing to me. When you say cranks but doesn't turn over, Im lost a bit with the terminology used.

Are you saying you can hear the starter engage, but the engine doesn't spin? Or the engine actually spins, but the bike doesn't start?

If it just the engine won't start, then take the advice given and check the plugs. I would also check to make sure your killswitch is in the run position.

When we say the engine cranks, that's the sound you hear when you hold in the ignition button. When it turns over, you let go of the ignition button and the bike/car runs and idles. My killswitch is in the run position since you can hear the fuel prime. I hope the terminology is clear now.

ska8terpunk84 11-19-2010 07:54 PM

Update:

I finally understood what you meant by setting they spark plug against the engine. You need to have it ground for it to operate. So I took out the spark plug on the right side and I grounded it against the cylinder head. I pressed the ignition button and I got a spark from the spark plug. So this should rule out the spark out of the big three (air, spark, and fuel) for thermal combusition to occur. Right now I'm thinking it maybe a fuel problem now. My fuel is low, but it's not on the reserve tank. I wonder if it could be the fuel cut off relay or the engine stop relay. I do have extra relays lying around here. I'll see if by any chance if this is the problem. I'll keep everyone updated.

LJ Harp 11-19-2010 08:13 PM

Alright sweet if you had no spark that a btich to trouble shoot at times let me know if it was a relay or not we will troubleshoot some more

J0HNDiLLiNGER 11-19-2010 08:52 PM

always check fuel then fire! its 1 of the 2. & i hope u tried pop starting it b4 playing with starter