General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alright, time for a bike rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alright, time for a bike rebuild

After much thought and consideration (not to mention a good stash of parts and one nice guy) I have decided I am going to entirely rebuild my 1996 CBR 600 F3. The first owner didn't brake in the engine, so it was bound not to last, the second owner low sided it about 4 times with minimal damage, just scratches and the PO before me crashed it into a hot tub. I come to find all this out of course after I bought the bike. So now that the history of the poor thing is out, here is what I plan to do.

The engine in it right now has 26,000aprox. miles on it... yes, the bike has been ridden alot, but thats good! I enjoy it. I am going to replace the engine/transmission with a newer lower miliage engine/transmission combo. Im going to replace the sprockets and the chain, gonna get new tires. I am going to take the fairings off of it and have them painted, gonna POR-15 the frame and have it painted. I am going to keep my slipon I have now. I am going to totally rewire the entire bike front to back replacing all electronics. I know this probably seems stupid to try and save a bike that I could probably very easily find another of, but I only have 1000 in it as it sits now, and they are worth over three times that, so I figure I have some room. I am going to start the teardown later this week, maybe even tonight, and I will post pictures as I go so everyone can see the undertaking of this.

If anyone has any recommendations to any part of this, please feel free to email me or post them on here. Thanks for your time guys, Ill let you get back to work now

Old 11-23-2005, 02:40 PM
Default RE: Alright, time for a bike rebuild

buy the ziploc bags that you can write on so you can keep track of what bolts go where and you can write the wrench size on them as well.

Good luck with your rebuild, definitely a good winter project.

Old 11-23-2005, 05:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

break in procedures...not followed? it's not that big of a deal mang...as there are 2 thoughts on it, hard break in and dealer type.
i hard broke in mines...i have 36K and **** is running hardcore still...still no signs of needing to rebuild anything. even battery still good.

before you drop money on something you don't need, make sure you need it first.

Old 11-23-2005, 05:53 PM

Big job under way then, great call on the ziplok bags. Them miles are nothing to worry about for a 96 bike, mines on 11K Miles since Feb, just look after her along the way as you do your project.

Old 11-25-2005, 02:44 AM

Happy Thanksgiving all

anyway, went to go start on the teardown, and Im getting some shakey emails from the guy I am trying to get my parts from... So I believe I may postpone this for a bit, unless anyone has a good F3 engine or bigger they are looking to get rid of... Kinda sux but eh I guess you take the good with the bad... any thoughts?

Old 11-26-2005, 12:50 PM

CBR 900RR Engine

with some modification, whould this fit in my bike^^

I thought that would be a good start to a sleeper... if there is such a thing in motorcycles.

Old 11-26-2005, 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: mcvaaahhh

buy the ziploc bags that you can write on so you can keep track of what bolts go where and you can write the wrench size on them as well.

Good luck with your rebuild, definitely a good winter project.
nice tip