General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All I know is that I know nothing!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All I know is that I know nothing!

Hi everybody, to make a long story shortI bought an F3 in ebay(no experience with bikes, 0 knowledge as a mechanic,100% trust and stupidity).
Over there it was fine, over here it didn't start, anywayI oredered some products and parts to clean it (air filter, fuel filter, carb cleaner, new engine(?), tires, sunroof...). In the meantimeI lost the only key I had!
Thinking I'm really smart I dismantle the forks to take out the ignition system. Now the handle bar is touching the front tire and is off balance.
I don't want to take it to the mechanic...yet, I will fix it, no matter how long it will take me.
BeforeI start with the cleaning part, can I put back the fork as it was bymyself, or I will need extra help? (if I press the forks, i'm seeing oil coming out!)

Thanks for helping the experts.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Default RE: All I know is that I know nothing!

You can do it, have faith in that. ALL of us who work on bikes started exactly where you are right now. that said, you need to buy a service manual for your bike, it'll be of great help. much moreso than ANY shop, where you wont get to learn how to do it yourself.

Personally, I enjoy sharing my knowledge in bikes, if you're near tampa FL just hit me up. you probably arent, but if you are I'm all too happy to help you fix her up.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey mecamero,

I live in DC and can help out if ya want. I have an 97 F3 and can tear down and rebuild these things in my sleep. I also have a tools necessary to do these sort of tasks. If you want the help, just private message me and we can go from there. I agree with Hurricane Rider too, you can do this on your own but you will need a manual.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Hurricane rider

You can do it, have faith in that. ALL of us who work on bikes started exactly where you are right now. that said, you need to buy a service manual for your bike, it'll be of great help. much moreso than ANY shop, where you wont get to learn how to do it yourself.

Personally, I enjoy sharing my knowledge in bikes, if you're near tampa FL just hit me up. you probably arent, but if you are I'm all too happy to help you fix her up.
Here is step 1: http://hondatech.info/downloads/Moto/CBR/CBR600/

Old 11-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy

The more i learn the more i know how much i still have to learn.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Endless

The more i learn the more i know how much i still have to learn.

Thank you Socrates.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:01 PM

Thanks for your support, the good part is that I'm enjoying the learning process, neverthelessI will find some help to deal with the forks at this stage, the manual is not very clear in that. The carburator, is another story,I can mess around withit with nopersonal consequences.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:51 PM

If your seeing oil while compressing the forks, your have a blown fork seal. they can be changed by yourself, but they require some specialized tools and a decent step by step instruction manual. that one you may want to have done professionally.

Without knowing what tools you have or how mechanically inclined you are, (not much as you stated), it will depend on what steps you need to take. For the most part, you do just about anything yourself. Just get the knowlegde before attempting it. You dont want to halfass anything on a motorcycle. Also, you will need to invest in some basic tools along with some specialized ones.

If you have any specific questions on how to do things, your in the right place. there are a ton of knowledgable people here.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Default Throttle cable

Do you have some pictures showing how to remove the throttle cable from the carbs?

Thanks

Old 12-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Throttle cable

A little update on mucamero's bike. He's got an excellent bike to start with. Needs a little TLC and will be all good to go. He got the forks all back together but needed with getting the bike running again. We determined that the plugs were fouled and that new plugs needed to be installed. He installed the new plugs and was able to start the bike again. I showed up last weekend and helped out with putting in new cables... which was outside in the snow fall. Made for a good laugh, especially to the folks walking by. Since last weekend, he put the bike back together and was riding it in the parking lot. But (there always is a but)... the bike is getting to H in just a couple minutes. Now comes the fun part of finding why the bike is getting hot so quickly.