General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket seats

anyone run an aftermarket seat? im looking into a corbin seat for my f4i, since i tend to ride the tank more and the family jewels are getting a beating haha the corbin seat looks like it has more cusion and more tank coverage.
are there other brands with a good reputation and good comfort? and would yal even worry about the passenger seat or leave it factory, or a seat cowl

Old 07-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Default RE: aftermarket seats

Just finished my seat...and though it's not Corbin slick, it costs me all of $30.

I now sit about 2-3 inches lower, in a better position overall for riding, and the handling is better.

You should get some dense or closed cell foam, and make your own....imo.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:16 AM

you have any pictures of yours? i want the foam built up more in the crotch area to keep me from riding up on the gas tank and getting a nice tank slap over bumps and what not in the road ha.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:32 AM

ORIGINAL: urandaman

you have any pictures of yours? i want the foam built up more in the crotch area to keep me from riding up on the gas tank and getting a nice tank slap over bumps and what not in the road ha.
I will take some pics...as soon as it stops raining...again.

I prefer the exact opposite, with a high backend that slopes towards the tank. That way as you brake, you move towards the center of the bike, making turning, cornering much more stable and predictable. (My theory anyway...seems to work)

Old 07-13-2007, 09:53 AM

i hear ya about the rain.. it just now stopped raining in houston 2days ago maybe. and it was every day for like a month if not longer.

ya i just want to be pushed back an inch or so or get some added padding to the front of the seat b/c thats the only uncomfortable thing, the seat firmness and overall shape doesnt bother me just the groin area. but if i can get a seat that is even better over all, im all for it.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Retired Moderator

I wanted a Corbin seat, but they are so expensive. Also, I have read a bunch of posts about how it changes your riding position slightly. I pushes you back from the tank, and because it is a little wider, it hurts the inside of your thighs until it gets broken in. Doesn't sound as dreamy as I originally thought.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:57 AM

**** if my legs get pushed out more,i will have to lean it over to touch hah im on the ***** of my feet as it is ha.
would an upholstery shop be able to re foam the seat and add a little more around the tank area?
and wrap it in vynil im guessin? what holds up and isnt slick

Old 07-13-2007, 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: urandaman

**** if my legs get pushed out more,i will have to lean it over to touch hah im on the ***** of my feet as it is ha.
would an upholstery shop be able to re foam the seat and add a little more around the tank area?
and wrap it in vynil im guessin? what holds up and isnt slick
I can only speak for me and where I am at technique wise, but I think you want the seat to be a little slick, so you can slide left to right across the seat as you position for turns. You don't want the seat so grippy that you have to pick your butt way up in the air and then thwack it back down on the seat. That will upset the suspension.

Wear a cup...

Old 07-13-2007, 11:07 AM

ha true, wasnt thinking about that.
a cup.. ill have to pass ha i think im going to invest in some padded shorts like they have for moto cross that fit under your pants

Old 07-14-2007, 02:29 AM

apparently i'm not the only one having trouble with my junk on the tank. try lifting up your *** an inch or two over the big bumps ...assuming they're not REALLY big bumps that just slam you down harder, it makes for a better, more predictable ride. i find i have a better time controlling my bike when my head isn't bouncing around. i'd like to be able to sit farther back, but to reach the grips, i've pretty much gotta hug the tank with my nuts, so i've just gotta figure out where to position them where they are comfy. maybe a relief in the tank cover (03 600rr) would be nice ...any aftermarket tank covers out there? lol

Quick Reply: aftermarket seats