General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFAM Sprockets

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 10:58 PM
BNG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFAM Sprockets

Hi all,

First let me point out this is my first post here. I've been reading this site for weeks (eversince I bought my 2001 cbr f4i) and appreciate everyone's advice!

I'm looking into buying a new chain for my bike. I was thinking about going with OEM equipment as my sprockets are still in good shape, but there appears to be good value in buying a whole kit. As such, I might go that route instead. That said, I have a couple of questions

1. Does anyone know anything about the AFAM sprocket kit (http://www.extremestreet.com/racers/sprockets/). I'm not sure if it is a clip or a rivet style. In fact, it might be neither? The site says all one needs is a 8mm wrench and a pair of pliers to put on this chain? Can this be safe or legitiment? Having my chain come apart while riding isn't good...

Here is what their website says: "The chain supplied in the kit is premium quality, sourced from the leading Japanese and Italian manufacturers. This patented link eliminates the need for expensive riveting tools, an 8mm wrench and a pair of pliers are all that is needed to install."

2. If this doesn't work, any ideas on where to buy my chain/sprockets from. I keep trying to find numbers that are in my manual:
DID525HV-108LE
RKGB525ROZ1-108LE

but I can't seem to find anythign with those markings, but I'm assuming any 525 chain will work and I can have the bike shop cut two links off?

3. Finally, suggestions as to whether or not I should stick with Stock gearing? I know...it depends on my riding style, likes, etc..., but if someone can sell me on mixing up my sprockets I mights just do it.

Many thanks,
BNG