General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ADVICE on Getting cap outta tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADVICE on Getting cap outta tank

So my bike comes out the shop on Wednesday, and I remembered that I have an issue. When putting fuel in the tank one day the plastic cap from the gas can fell in my tank. I cant seem to fish it out and its causing my tank to read as empty all the time.

Any advice other than take the can off and flip it upside down??

Thanks in advance to anything you can say to help.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:14 PM

Well if the plastic floats...I would fill it till it got near the top then try to get it out with a metal rod or something?

Old 04-01-2012, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by That Guy in Maine
Well if the plastic floats...I would fill it till it got near the top then try to get it out with a metal rod or something?
Yea unfortunately it doesnt... I tried that like twice haha

Old 04-02-2012, 07:06 AM

Fishing a coat hanger in it would be the first thing that comes to my mind

Old 04-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Probably drain it and flip it.

Not sure I'd be clanking a metal rod around inside a gas tank.

Hopefully the cap is quality plastic and hasn't all melted and molten-ified inside there already.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:56 PM

I hate to admit this; but i dropped a funnel from a fuel can (plastic) into my tank on my 1000f. I tried to fish it out with metal coathanger...that freaked me out a bit...gas, metal, sparks=yikes! So I took off the tank and still could not get the damned thing out. It is long and thin and does not want to be coaxed out of the opening. Long story short, it was made out of plastic that is designed to be in contact with gasoline. It was not hurting anything in terms of fuel reading ect., so now it has become a companion. Probably not the right answer; but it is an answer. Anyway, that is what I did.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by zaqwert6
Probably drain it and flip it.

Not sure I'd be clanking a metal rod around inside a gas tank.

Hopefully the cap is quality plastic and hasn't all melted and molten-ified inside there already.

Yea exactly not to motivated to put a metal hanger in my tank, I might have to do the drain option. I just want it fixed cause I plan on taking road trips soon and I need to know my fuel level

Thanks for the advice

Old 04-03-2012, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by ekelman
I hate to admit this; but i dropped a funnel from a fuel can (plastic) into my tank on my 1000f. I tried to fish it out with metal coathanger...that freaked me out a bit...gas, metal, sparks=yikes! So I took off the tank and still could not get the damned thing out. It is long and thin and does not want to be coaxed out of the opening. Long story short, it was made out of plastic that is designed to be in contact with gasoline. It was not hurting anything in terms of fuel reading ect., so now it has become a companion. Probably not the right answer; but it is an answer. Anyway, that is what I did.
hahaha I had the same fear! Oh well, I got that draino snake thing, I am hoping the multiple hooks will grab it. Oh and word up, the cap should be designed to be in fuel, so hopefully it didnt melt :-/

Old 04-03-2012, 08:31 AM

aluminium coat hangers don't spark so no prob fill tank and manouver to fill cap

Old 04-03-2012, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by david Iligan city
aluminium coat hangers don't spark so no prob fill tank and manouver to fill cap
ok, sweet! Thanks man! I'm trusting you, but if I dont post in the next week.... well then you were wrong. lol jus messin, seriously thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply: ADVICE on Getting cap outta tank