General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusting the chain on an F4i with out a rear stand

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting the chain on an F4i with out a rear stand

I have an 03 F4i and the chain is loose. Is there a method for adjusting the rear chain with out having a rear stand? My Clymer manual says I need to rotate the rear wheel to find the tightest point in the chain. So I figure I could just start my bike at the back of my garage space and push it forward a few times until I find the tightest spot.

Is there a better way to do this, or does finding the tightest spot not even matter that much?

Eric

Last edited by aireq; 04-26-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:55 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need a stand. The procedure is the same with or without one and a stand is not necessary, although it makes it a little easier on your lower back.
Rather than push the bike around to turn the wheel, simply stand next to the bike on the kick-stand side facing it. Reach around and pull up on the subframe with your left arm (with the kickstand down) until the rear wheel clears the ground (similar to this video: LINK). Spin the wheel with your right arm. You'll be able to feel any tight spots as resistance when spinning the wheel.
I would say unless you have a severe kink, or links that are binding badly, not to worry about it. Definitely check the chain, but I don't think you have to be that **** about it that you have to adjust it only on the tight spot.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:56 PM

Ahh that's a good idea to use the side stand.

Alright what should the slack in the chain be? My manual says 1" - 1 3/8". But when I push up on the chain it touches the rubber guard on the swing arm. Is this right? I measured the travel and it's probably a tad under the 1 3/8" maximum.

The reason i'm looking at this is while I was ridding to work the other day and stopped at a light a guy in a car next to me calls to me and said my chain was "hopping" and I should take a look at it. Anyone know what that means?

Old 04-27-2009, 12:40 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're making contact with the chain slider, just move your point of measurement further back. Also remember to apply downward pressure on the chain for your first reference point, so as to take up the slack on the top part of the chain. As with the "hopping", my guess is this guy observed your chain bouncing up & down as you rode and expressed his concern.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:11 AM

Yes but if there is suppose to be slack in the chain wouldn't you also assume that the chain is going to bounce a bit? Or rather does it even make sense to diagnose the condition of a chain at all by watching it on a moving bike?

Eric