General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessories loom.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 03:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accessories loom.

So, I am about to embark on version 3 of my exciting accessories loom (on a cbr600 '95 F3), and thought I'd share my experiences and also see if any electronics experts can tell me why i've failed so far (I have my guesses, but confirmation would be nice)

I had previously built a voltage monitor onto the bike (very simple circuit - pos battery terminal > inline fuse > on off switch > voltage monitor > neg battery terminal) Very simple, but it was my first one and I was proud!

Name:  volt.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  110.0 KB

So I built an accessories loom (which I probably could have bought a 'fink' one for easiness and probably cheaper than my parts list, but I'm stubborn and like to figure things out myself)

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  192.8 KB

Name:  photo2-1.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  75.0 KB

I thought it looked pretty good considering it came from an old desk-stationary holder!
Tested it on spare battery and it worked perfect so set about attaching to bike. Unsuccesfully. Twice. So far.

Attempt 1:

Name:  relay-diagram--ve.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  77.4 KB

With this, the accessories loom worked perfectly, but my voltmeter wouldn't do a thing.

So I tried Attempt 2:

Name:  relay-diagram-final.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  77.7 KB

In this case, my voltmeter was back up and running! hurrah! But there was no power from the outputs of the accessories loom.

Well, I say no power, actually they were showing about 0.3v, same as the voltmeter showed in attempt 1, but that wasn't enough to turn it on at all. So I'm guessing some power bleeding through, but not enough.

So tonight, (or maybe next week) I will go for attempt 3:

Name:  relay-diagram-3.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  79.3 KB

Any smart people wanna tell me wrong.
Any gamblers wanna place bets on how many more attempts it will take me?

Old 09-20-2013, 06:14 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont see why the third one wont work as you intend. Looks like alot of wires to me. Are you getting enough power to every output on your power distribution? I usually get a marine terminal that has a signal input and multiple outputs with the fuses built in. Similar to the ones for car stereo amps but with micro fuses instead of the huge fuses. I would imagine in your previous design the voltmeter was causing your issues. Anyway, let us know what happens. I like the idea of the voltmeter though. May have to swipe the idea

Old 09-20-2013, 11:42 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Why not tie your volt meter into switched power (Other than voltage drop)? and I agree with a proper fused distro block it should be pretty easy to set up.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:44 PM

So been a while, but just to confirm that version 3 worked perfect.
As for mounting, couldn't find a decent place, so chucked it in the backside of the battery box to keep it nice and waterproof. got heated grips fitted through that now and working perfect!

Old 10-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I didn't see this originally but my guess is that since you had the voltmeter running in line for the first two this was causing the issue. A lot, not all, of meters will not pass power through, or not enough.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see why the voltmeter would work in either #1 or #2 since it has to be connected to both positive and negative, not just one or the other as you had it when it was inline. Glad you got everything working.