General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 900rr gauges, need help

Old 05-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 99 900rr gauges, need help

Hello all, could use a hand here. Got a 99 900rr and i'm having issues with the gauges. Tach, speedo, odometer and temp are all dead. I do have power because the background lights are all on. Signals work and neutral light, high beam all work fine. Just no reading on the gauges. Everything was working fine, parked it for a few weeks and wouldn't start due to weak battery. At that time i needed to install a new flasher for the signals since the old one wasn't working. Did that signals were working again and I still had working gauges. Put it on a charge and it started right up, but gauges were non responsive. Pulled the new flasher out and put the old one back in, still nothing. I checked all fuses and there fine. I disconnected everything from the wiring harness and removed all the black tape to see if i had a short. Didn't find anything out of place, loose or pinched. I even took the gauge cluster apart to see if there were any signs of overheating, nothing, all normal. Checked the grounds and they were tight. This is frustrating, the bike runs fine i took it for a quick ride and all were good just no reading on the gauges. Could the gauges cluster be shot?? I hate to buy another one and get the same results. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try hosing all the connectors with contact cleaner. Then re-connect everything and see if that fixes it. Check a manual and test the send-units to the guages, to assure they work. Then get a wiring diagram and start testing the harness connectors for continuity or short that you can't see. If you eliminate the harness and the sensor's themselves, it pretty much says bad guages.

With the expense replacing them will cost, you might still consider taking it to a pro for an expert opinion before dropping the change on a new set of guages.
Ern

Old 05-21-2011, 05:43 PM

Ok I'll give that a try. Thanks

Old 05-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No problem, I feel your pain. I'm chasing a gremlin on my beastie that pegs the RPM guage. Not the engine just the guage. sigh. Just when I say, "Done!", it's always something. Good news is, I'm not a thrasher, so I don't really need the darn thing, my ear is good enough, just hate the 95% feeling. ;-)
Ern

Old 05-22-2011, 08:29 AM

Its always something with these machines. I dont know about that one, maybe check the sensor or the wire. Getting a false reading somewhere. I got my gauges working. Turn out to be a ground wire that was broken. At first glance it was all connected, turned out that the wire strands inside the green was broken. Only way I found it was to run a jumper wire from the connection in back of the gauges to a ground. Soon as it touched they came on. Traced that wire all the way back to where it grounds to the frame. Sneaky little bast*rd.