General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 f3 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 05:38 PM
2011 Ride of the Year
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 f3 wont start

i know i have seen this post somewhere but i looked for about 2 hours and haven't found it. so if i'm asking same question again, i apologize.

the bike was starting just fine, i was working on my integrated tail and started it on the choke to worm it up. i was finished before it got worm so i shut it off. it stayed on choke for about 1 hour (not running)

i got back to the garage and tried to start it, it cranked but did not fire.
the battery died after few tries.

i jump started from a car, it was cranking but no fire (except from the back fire) it tried to crank over few times but it didn't catch. i think i flooded the plugs. should i replace the plugs???? it sounds like the plugs have no spark. (possitive that that is the problem)

that's what i have planed on doing soon, but i wanna know what you guys think.

oh yeah, right before i stopped the engine for the last time i adjusted the rpms on the choke, seemed little high (over 2000, brought it down to about 1500) is this where i went wrong or leaving not running bike on choke???

Old 02-22-2011, 12:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave the bike over night, put the battery on a trickle charger if you have one.
Check to make sure you haven't hit the kill switch (bike will crank but not start with it on) & turn the fuel tap to the 'Off' position.
The bike has a fuel pump, but that does not mean you haven't dumped a bit of fuel on the plugs & in the bores with the choke left on. My 98 is a temperamental beast when it comes to starting to.
Try starting with the choke again, but don't turn on the fuel (till after it hopefully fires up).
If that won't work, then try the flooded engine approach, full throttle on steady (not on & off) & hit the starter button, it will probably cough & splutter, but with luck steady out.
If that won't work then its time to pull one of the plugs & see what sort of condition its in. Replacing the plugs is a pain but straight forward & at least then you will know their not the problem.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:02 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

wow, this is a lot of work. i have half of the bike taken apart just to get to the spark plugs. cars are much more simple. ive spent about 3 hours taking it apart.
im sure putting it back together will be faster.

is there another way to do it???

Old 02-22-2011, 07:46 PM

I don't know how big your hands are but when I still had f3 fairings I just removed the access panels

Old 02-22-2011, 09:29 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

well......... i just put the new spark plugs in and put every thing together....

same thing........... turns over but it sounds like its not getting fuel.

i think i fried the fuse from jumping it with a car.

will check tomorrow.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:55 PM

Sounds like you messed with something when messing with the rpms. You said you adjusted the idle? Then after that, it didn't start? Did you have the choke on and then adjusted the idle? I think that when the bike is warm and the choke is on it is supposed to idle about 3k. Then off choke and at operating temp it should be 1200 rpms.

I also doubt your plugs would go bad running one hour ago to not starting the next time you tried.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by scorpionvmu
wow, this is a lot of work. i have half of the bike taken apart just to get to the spark plugs. cars are much more simple. ive spent about 3 hours taking it apart.
im sure putting it back together will be faster.

is there another way to do it???
IMO bikes are alot more easier to deal with than a cage.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:47 AM
2011 Ride of the Year

Originally Posted by billetproof97
IMO bikes are a lot more easier to deal with than a cage.
a lot more room to work on them as well. few tight squeezes, but nothing like a V6 compact car, cant even squeeze your finger in there.

it took me about an hour to put it back to running condition, but sadly it didnt fire up.

it looks like a fuse or something with the pump.

if theres something else i should be looking at, let me know.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:09 AM
2011 Ride of the Year

its not the fuse......

im looking for the fuel pump and cant find it.

location????

Old 02-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpionvmu
its not the fuse......

im looking for the fuel pump and cant find it.

location????
aft of the fuel tank. follow the main line coming out of your petcock - it takes a u bend and runs into your filter, then straight to the fuel pump. It is fastened to the frame on the left side, in the "Y" where the lower subframe rail attaches to the main frame. It is round.

From your pics, you did a ton of teardown for your sparkplug replacement - I think I saw valvecovers off at some point? Not really needed at all. How much else did you tear down?

Also, I assume you've got the F3 manual for all of this right? Section 18-16 starts the fuel system troubleshooting, including how to test the Fuel pump and checking that it is flowing the proper amount.

Did you reconnect the fuel pump hoses properly - inlet/outlet?

Also - you didn't happen to unplug the throttle position sensor plug maybe?

Quick Reply: 98 f3 wont start