General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 cbr 600 f3 known problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 01:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 cbr 600 f3 known problems?

I'm thinking about getting a 98 600 f3... only problem is the milage... 30k miles..seems like a bit much... guy is letting it go for 1500 but "needs carbs cleaned" "cranks but wont run" everything seems to need their carbs cleaned an awful lot ....seems like a generic cop out to *well it runs rough....* wondering what the normal breaking point is where everything just seems to fall a part... i know it greatly depends on the rider and how badly it was abused but....any known inherent problems with them? i work on cars for a living and know certain makes/models are known for certain problems and know about the expected longevity of the vehicle based on make/model/year. wondering if thats the same on certain models of bikes..

Not exactly sure this is a good choice considering the milage and cant hear the engine run....nor test drive it.. so i figured this would be a good place to start asking guestions.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My F3 has run like a watch since I got it new in 98. I've had the reg replaced of course, as that seems to be the most common fault. If a bike is running rough (any bike) then a carb clean may help, but certainly won't fix what is basically a carbi balance & tune.
You have to maintain the air filter, if dirty can contribute greatly to it's state of tune & the F3 has an inline fuel filter which sometimes needs to be replaced depending on the condition of the tank internals & quality of fuel used.
Valves have to be done at 18000kays (12000 miles) which is often neglected if the previous owner was going to sell it on.
30000 clicks is not a lot if the bike has been maintained, any bike can be totally stuffed at half that if treated badly.
Apart from the reg, I've had no trouble at all (touch wood), the CCT can be an issue, but is easily replaced & the fuel pump (contacts) can wear, causing problems (there is a sticky in the F3 section on "How to Replace it" way cheaper) .
$1500 isn't going to get you the pick of the litter, but you're getting a bike with a great reputation & getting the carbs done isn't going to add to much to the buying price, why not get the guy to knock $200 off to cover it.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:31 AM

30,000 miles is not a lot of miles if properly maintained. I would buy a bike that has 80,000 miles that was taken care of before I bought a bike with 10,000 that was abused. I guess what I'm getting at is, mileage is not as important as most think. these bikes will run well into the 100K if taken care of.

As for carb issues. It is a huge problem for any carbed bike, because hardly anyone does what it needed to keep them clean. If you keep the carbs clean, you will have no issues. Honestly, either drain the gas or put stabilizer in the fuel when the bike is stored... thats pretty much it... yet no one seems to want to take such a little step in keeping their carbs from gumming up.

If you get the bike. Change all of the fluids, spark plugs, clean carbs, change filter... and you should have a fantastic machine. I would also check the brakes, check all of the hoses and clamps, check the tires and chain and sprockets for wear.

At 1500, you probably don't have much room to bring the price down, but it never hurts to try. If he doesn't budge, just keep in mind that you could get into an F4 for 2500 or less. Im not sure how much you like working on things, but a thousand dollars can get eaten up really quick when it comes to replacing or fixing things. Especially on a bike that doesn't run, you may end up with a bunch of stuff you didn't know about.

Certainly not trying to talk out of the F3. the F3 was my first bike and it was awesome. Just be aware that other things could be wrong with a non running bike other than the guys guess that its just the carbs.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:27 AM

i work on cars for a living so tearing the entire thing a part is pretty much step one if i get it.. its almost impossible to figure out why it wont fire up from just going to look at it. he's asking 1800, im offering 1500 on the sheer fact that its a mystery to me as to why it wont start and not being able to test drive it to check really any of the bikes integral components.. Im sure ever 100% junk bike was sold as *needs a tune up* ... thats prety much how trashed cars get sold..

So its a gamble at this point... owner says the bike sat up for a year... didnt state why.. i plan on asking him the next email i send. Bike has a crash cage installed on it so that kind of makes me lean towards a neglected life for the poor bike.. realisticly it can only be a handful of reasons it wouldnt start... now what it does after it actually does start will be the main worry... I doubt hes going to let me sit there and do a compression check on it lol. although wouldn't that be nice?!

This is my first bike, I waited until I turned 30 to try to get some of the crazyness out of my system... I have been looking for something I could afford (which is around 1500-2000 bucks at the moment). actually i haven't even bothered to go get my permit yet just from contemplating if i should get a bike at all lol. might go get that today though.

for my price range i was stuck with something non sport, non running or is wrecked, really old, or the ultimate disappointment of a katana.....which just looks... __________ .. lol

Old 08-04-2010, 09:09 AM

If its got a crash cage on it, walk away. I wouldn't even consider buying an old stunt bike as my first bike. If I was buying a stunt bike to stunt, thats one thing, but not for an everyday bike. its probably been dropped so many times, who knows what is all wrong with it. From the sounds of it, the bike is not anywhere near worth 1500 bucks. If the bike was basically stock, clean, and well taken care of, 1500 is about right, not for a ragged out stunted bike. I can only imagine how much money would have to be spent getting it back to street worthyness.

Having said that. I know it sucks only having so much money to spend. But honestly, the best thing you can do right now is hold off, save a little more money and buy something that doesn't need a ton of work. Maybe broaden your search area too. there are good deals out there. If you have to, rent a uhaul motorcycle trailer and go pick one up. But I would definately not buy the stunted bike.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:02 PM

yeah that crash cage is what threw me off... looks dont mean much but....

http://charleston.craigslist.org/mcy/1855995286.html

thats pretty much what were working with

Old 08-04-2010, 06:25 PM

Man, I love those bikes!! The F3 I had, I bought new, and was the limited smoknjoes. for the time, one of the best looking bikes.

Its really too bad some guy decided to stunt it, otherwise it would probably make a decent buy. As much as I like those bikes, I would probably still walk away. But just so you know, those bikes do tend to bring a bit more money than the standard F3's. But the stunted part would really make me pass on it.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:50 PM

shhhhhhh you arent helping my case! i know man...i absolutely love that bike... i saw it and just had to have it... too late now though i already sent the guy an email saying how worthless it is now with the fairings all cut the hell up... but from the LOOKS of the bike....it doesnt look stunted at all other than the damn cage... but i mean what are the odds of installing a cage and never stunting it... thats like buying a camaro with a 383 and a roll cage and saying Nah i never raced it..... lol. i remember seeing those brand new on the showroom floor when i was 18 and wanted one so bad. ugh. i know you can buy the fairings and make really any f3 look like one but dammit man! i was gonna get it for 1500 or less.... doubt he will even talk to me now