General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 900RR won't stay running? Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 900RR won't stay running? Help

I went out yesterday evening for a ride. I was out for about an hour and a half when I stopped at a store. Came out of the store after about 20 minutes, jumped on the bike. Stopped at a fast food place to grab a bite to eat. Came out after about 10 minutes, wait was insane, I went out to get back on the bike and it wouldn't start. Cranked and it acted like the battery was dying.

Waited another 10 minutes and same result. I found a couple of guys to help me push start it and the bike started. I stopped on the other side of the lot to finish putting on my gear. Bike died while sitting there in idle. Got it started with a push start again, and stayed lightly on the throttle. Started driving, got to the next light, bike shut off. Turned the corner to a slight down hill and pushed the bike to get a rolling start. Started fine and stayed on as long as I was slightly on the throttle.

As long as I was on the throttle I was able to drive. Every light I came to, I had to rev it to keep it running. Made it home and stalled in the driveway. Put it back on the tender over night. Went out this afternoon, choke on and it started, but as the choke turned off, bike stalled out. Started again while on the throttle it would stay on, but the minute I eased off, it would die.

Never had this issue before, bike would always start, even on colder days. New to bike still and not very knowledgeable when it comes to bike, sorry. Mechanically illiterate, but getting there.

Oh, BTW, bike was on the tender all winter and it would be fine. Took it off the tender about 2 weeks ago and rode it twice, sat for about a week or so now, since last ride off the tender. If that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any help. If any more info is needed just ask.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:13 PM

I would start with checking your charging voltage across your battery when it is running. Rev it to around 5k and I believe you should be getting around 14.5-15 volts. If that checks out ok have your battery tested. Hope this helps

Old 02-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u need to replaces the rectifier and stator, its a common problem. in case if u get stuck anywhere, just get a car booster..

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/cgi-b...rch&PR=-1&TB=A

Last edited by raiden; 02-18-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:15 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When you say as long as you are on throttle, bike runs....at what RPM? Have you adjusted your idle lever? I know it's silly to ask but just to cover all factor...what are the chance that you idle was adjust too low & bike shuts off...I know bike was ridden find previously but there maybe a chance vibration may rattle your idle lever below .5

Old 02-19-2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by orangef3
I would start with checking your charging voltage across your battery when it is running. Rev it to around 5k and I believe you should be getting around 14.5-15 volts. If that checks out ok have your battery tested. Hope this helps
I am going to have to get a tester, but I will give that a shot. Thanks

Originally Posted by raiden
u need to replaces the rectifier and stator, its a common problem. in case if u get stuck anywhere, just get a car booster..

Electrex World Limited - Electrical Parts for Motorcycles
I am going to explore other possibilities before I start spending a lot of money. I want to rule out something stupid first.

Originally Posted by estate4life
When you say as long as you are on throttle, bike runs....at what RPM? Have you adjusted your idle lever? I know it's silly to ask but just to cover all factor...what are the chance that you idle was adjust too low & bike shuts off...I know bike was ridden find previously but there maybe a chance vibration may rattle your idle lever below .5
As long as I am slightly on throttle. Maybe around 2k rpm's. I haven't messed with the idle lever since this happened. It was always set to run around 1100 rpm's for normal idle, after warm up. That's where my local shop said to keep the idle. I am going to go out and mess with that a little bit now. Hopefully it is something as simple as that. Thank guys.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:19 PM

All right, I just went out, and adjusted the idle lever. Even with the choke on, the idle was low, around 1k, when it is usually around 2500 with the choke on when I first start the bike.

I adjusted the idle lever and brought the RPM's up. After about 5-10 mins of warm up, I closed the choke and the bike rpm's settled to around 1100-1200 and the bike stayed on.

So, apparently, the idle lever somehow lowered itself and it wouldn't let the bike run. I let it run for about 20 minutes and it stayed on. Didn't ride it yet, but I may take it out in a little bit close to home to check it out some more.

Thanks for all the input you guys gave. Hopefully it was just something as simple as the idle adjustment lever.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:33 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Great...glad you've check the idle before doing anything else...hey can I get your vote on Feb. ROTM...support a fellow 900rr...tks!!!

Originally Posted by nepa_jim
All right, I just went out, and adjusted the idle lever. Even with the choke on, the idle was low, around 1k, when it is usually around 2500 with the choke on when I first start the bike.

I adjusted the idle lever and brought the RPM's up. After about 5-10 mins of warm up, I closed the choke and the bike rpm's settled to around 1100-1200 and the bike stayed on.

So, apparently, the idle lever somehow lowered itself and it wouldn't let the bike run. I let it run for about 20 minutes and it stayed on. Didn't ride it yet, but I may take it out in a little bit close to home to check it out some more.

Thanks for all the input you guys gave. Hopefully it was just something as simple as the idle adjustment lever.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by estate4life
Great...glad you've check the idle before doing anything else...hey can I get your vote on Feb. ROTM...support a fellow 900rr...tks!!!
Yeah, thanks for the help. I guess I should have know better, but I never realy mess with that and never had an issue before. Only thing that even remotely crosses my mind to what may have caused this is that, when I was walking out of the restaurant, I saw some kid walking suspiciously in the area of my bike.

When I first walked out, he was walking away from my bike, turned around, looking around nervously, and walked back towards my bike. He was looking over his shoulders as he was getting closer. Right before he got back to my bike, he saw me coming with my helmet in hand. He quickly turned away from my bike and walked to a car and jumped in and left.

My fuel reserve lever is broken, so it makes me curious if he may have tried to sabotage my bike by trying to turn the fuel off, or by turning the idle lever off, in order to get me to leave it there so he could come back later and take it? Maybe I am just paranoid, I don't know, lol. But I have never had an issue before, and he was just too suspicious for my liking.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good that u fixed it, replacing the RR and stator are based on how old the bike and the mileages ..

Old 02-19-2012, 05:18 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Unhappy

Truth is you cannot be too careful....now a days...bike is rare & easy target for the age...be careful

Originally Posted by nepa_jim
Yeah, thanks for the help. I guess I should have know better, but I never realy mess with that and never had an issue before. Only thing that even remotely crosses my mind to what may have caused this is that, when I was walking out of the restaurant, I saw some kid walking suspiciously in the area of my bike.

When I first walked out, he was walking away from my bike, turned around, looking around nervously, and walked back towards my bike. He was looking over his shoulders as he was getting closer. Right before he got back to my bike, he saw me coming with my helmet in hand. He quickly turned away from my bike and walked to a car and jumped in and left.

My fuel reserve lever is broken, so it makes me curious if he may have tried to sabotage my bike by trying to turn the fuel off, or by turning the idle lever off, in order to get me to leave it there so he could come back later and take it? Maybe I am just paranoid, I don't know, lol. But I have never had an issue before, and he was just too suspicious for my liking.

Quick Reply: 96 900RR won't stay running? Help