General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 cbr 600 f3 idles but wont run PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 cbr 600 f3 idles but wont run PLEASE HELP!!!

Bought the bike last week and took it for several test drives and it was running fine, first day with it the bike fell over (don't ask) and after I picked it back up it would stahl out in first unless you gave it alot of rpms and feathered the clutch out very lightly, once you got it going it was fune but I realized I was only running on three cylindars. So, I took out the carburetor and cleaned it, replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, and did an oil change on it to cover every base I could. now the bike will idle perfectly fine and is running on all four cylindars but as soon as you give it gas it shuts off. I checked all the fuel lines and nine of them are pinched and the fuel pump seems to be working but I cannot figure out what the problem is PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 07-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

maybe the carbs are out of sync ?

Old 07-05-2010, 12:20 PM

how would I fix that? I know you can tune the carbs but I dont know how much to turn the D shaped adjuster

Old 07-05-2010, 04:15 PM

The D shape adjusters are your pilot jets. Those control the idle mixture, they don't have much effect on the carbs once your above 1/8 throttle or so, as the main jet is responsible for the mixture after that.

What Havoc is suggesting is the carbs themselves are out of sync to each other. Each carb has to be synced to the other so they pull the same amount. You have one cable that pulls on the number one carb, then the other 3 are synced to that one. If you have one or more carbs not pulling the same, it create running issues. There are screws between each carb that can be adjusted so they are pulling the same. A carb syncronizer is needed to adjust them correctly.

Did you seperate the carbs from eachother? Or did you keep the rack together as you cleaned them?

Also, what exactly did you do to clean them?
Did you remove the pilot jets along with the main jets?
or did you simply remove the carb bowls and clean the bowls out?
Do you have the air box and all hoses back together?

I would agree with Havoc in that something happened with carbs after you cleaned them.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:41 PM

oh ok I had someone tell me to adjust the pilot jets, when I cleaned them I left the unit as one and yes I cleaned the main jets and pilot jets, and the bowls. The airbox and hoses are back together properly. I think I'm going to make my own syncronizer I have been reading up and it doesnt look to hard. I'll try that and get back to you thanks again you've been real helpful.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:03 PM

The only thing im a little confused about is where on the carburetor do I plug in the synchronizer

Old 07-05-2010, 06:30 PM

On that model, Im not 100 percent sure, but there will be vaccum hoses under each carb, that is where hook up the sync tool. Your measuring the vaccum pull of each cylinder. Some bikes have the hoses with a plug in the end, some bikes have small nipples sticking out of the block with cap on them. There will be one hose or nipple for each carb, and should be between the carb and the engine.

If you kept the carbs together on the rack, chances are pretty good you didn't mess up the sync of the carbs. More than likely, something didn't get put back together correctly.

What did you adjust the pilot jets too? Usually, you would count how many turns it takes to bottom out the pilotjet, that way you know how many turns out to put the pilot jets back. It sounds like maybe you didnt do that.. so I would start by adjusting the pilot jets 2 turns out from bottom Tighten the pilot jets until they stop, then back out 2 turns. That is a good starting point. They can go either way 1/2 turn or so for tweaking, but that should be right around where the factory had them set.

Oh, and do not tighten the pilot jets too much. Only tighten them until they stop, then back them out. If you tighten them too hard, you can ruin the needle and seat. so only until they stop turning..

Last edited by justasquid; 07-05-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:26 PM

Yeah I knew not to tighten them too much, there are two V shaped noddles coming off the carbs one is between the first and second and the other is between the third and fourth. Is this where I need to hook up the synchronizer?

Old 07-05-2010, 09:46 PM

Nossles**

Old 07-05-2010, 10:20 PM

I think you are reffering to the vent tubes, which are not the correct ones.

here is a pic of the locations of where they should be. This is the view if the carbs were removed, so these are the intakes under the carbs.

Attached Thumbnails 95 cbr 600 f3 idles but wont run PLEASE HELP!!!-cbr600f3-sync-port-locations.jpg  

Quick Reply: 95 cbr 600 f3 idles but wont run PLEASE HELP!!!