General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

929 no spark

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 929 no spark

I'm trying to get my 929 up and running after a complete rebuild. Everything was taken apart and now I can't get the thing to turn over. I pulled the spark plugs and there's no spark. I can hear the engine turn over and the starter doing its thing just no spark.

All connections appear to be in order. I thought I might have had a bad ignition pulse generator so I installed a brand new one and nothing. Still no spark. I plugged in an extra engine kill switch and still nothing. I tested all of the coils and plugs; nothing.

I think possibly a bad ignition switch. In the manual it says to "check for continuity between the wire terminals of the ignition switch connector in each switch position." How do I do this with a multimeter? I am totally confused. Any help is great! Also, this whole bike has been taken apart.

Last edited by lawnchairpuff; 03-22-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:17 PM

Does your fuel pump prime? Check to make sure the diode in your ignition switch is doing it's job. Do a search for diode and/or pink wire.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:41 PM

Fuel pump primes no problem. I saw a thread on here about a guy who couldnt get his f4 to spark and he tracked down the faulty diode but honestly I didnt really follow what he was looking at. I'll look into it. Thanks!

Old 03-23-2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by lawnchairpuff
Fuel pump primes no problem. I saw a thread on here about a guy who couldnt get his f4 to spark and he tracked down the faulty diode but honestly I didnt really follow what he was looking at. I'll look into it. Thanks!
If your fuel pump primes, then your diode is working okay.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

On your bike, is there an indicator that goes on and off as you raise and lower the side stand ? Is the indicator working, can you make the light go on and off ?

Old 03-23-2011, 05:14 PM

No indicator related to any kind of light. My kickstand sensor isn't hooked up but it shouldnt affect the spark since I'm trying to start the bike in neutral.

I checked all of the values at the ignition. When the key is turned the red power wire reads 12v, the pink reads 8.5v, and the other two wires show 11.5v. So it appears my ignition is working the way they should. I wonder what else is going on.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have a wiring diagram, but what about the operation of the Engine Stop switch. The one on the right Clip-On. I can't remember if that switch will prevent the bike from turning over if it's in the "ON" or "Kill" position. Try starting the bike with it in both positions.

Scratch that, you said the fuel pump primes, so it can't be the Engine Stop switch.

Last edited by IDoDirt; 03-23-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:39 PM

Plus I had an extra one laying around. Didn't make a difference which one was plugged in. This is getting frustrating to say the least.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

I was looking through a manual I found online, but it doesn't have a wiring diagram. It has lots of checks to do, but you need a Test Wiring harness (two of them actually) to make most of the checks due to the types of connector on the ECU. Since it was running before, I've got to believe that it's something simple like a loose connection.

http://www.stephygee.com/929RRmanual.zip

Old 03-23-2011, 05:54 PM

Me too. I will go over it again but i have gone over it so many times I must be missing something...

Quick Reply: 929 no spark